What do you do to help change a preteens bad attitude towards family?

She's mean and nasty so much. She doesn't want to help with anything around the house, it's always a fight to get her to do some chores, and she is so rude to her sister.

mommakat29

Asked by mommakat29 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• well i'd set up a chart for chores, and if she doesn't do them, then she doesn't get phone, tv, computer privileges. As for the sister thing, make them work together doing the chores, since she has to do them anyways, why not have help.
    Isabelles_mommy

Answer by Isabelles_mommy at 3:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Hm.. maybe a reward system.. letting them know how great they are doing when they help around the house. You know a hell of alot more than me, just giving you some advice! It is Maya? Silly girl! Yeah im thinking like stickers on a chart and prizes for how ever many different stickers they get.. hope it helps! <3
    ELCloveofmylife

Answer by ELCloveofmylife at 3:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Sorry I wish I had some ideas- Emily has been that way too, she physically hits at the drop of a hat whn she gets mad, soooo frustrating especially when she was always the quiet good one! I have just been taking priviledges away, don't know that it works all that well but I have no other ideas either. I already have a chore chart on the wall for all of them, we rotate chores daily so no one has to do the same thing every day( well except mom) and if they don't do the work and are mean they get to do nothing they want- no friends, games or POOL.
    weaverjunglemom

Answer by weaverjunglemom at 4:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I too am going through the same thing. I have a daughter that is 9 and she is so mean to everyone. Me, her dad, her brothers. And when you correct her she says that no one cares about her. So I have no clue what to do eather.
    MOMofTwo_99_00

Answer by MOMofTwo_99_00 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have boys and I tried to get them involved in scouts. They do a lot of family activites together. Sometimes that comes from their peers. If their peers think it is not cool to be around family they will pick up on that. There is a lot of kids that do not have family unity so they blow it off that it is not important. Eat dinner together and stuff like that, believe me they will appreciate it later on in life. As far as the attitude she needs to learn that she is responsible for her actions. Try some one on one time with her. Have a girls night out or shopping or something. Sometimes they will open up if they are alone and feel they have individual attention.
    maryztutti

Answer by maryztutti at 12:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2008

• My daughter gets that way, but I got something she really likes so she has to earn it throw doing her chores and by her attitude. she also gets things taken away, and I got her in Girl Scouts .
    glitterbratty

Answer by glitterbratty at 4:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009