DRUG TESTING FOR WELFARE BENEFITS?

having been in the health industry for a long time, i have seen it all. including my tax dollars being wasted by some people who receive welfare benefits. i have seen mothers and fathers strung out that as soon as the food stamp card is loaded they turn right around and sell it with $300.oo dollars or so for $50.00 cash and leave kids with no food. i have seen people on caresource or medicaid get scripts from so many doctors for narcotics that they are dropped as patients in a office and run to the emergency room with every sniffle or symptoms from drug abuse-costing hundreds of thousands a year. i know drugs abuse play a huge role in some counties not having enough funds for elderly programs, coats for kids, domestic abuse shelters, and counseling. i am just feed up, wondering when people will be responsible for their out crap, i love my job as a dialysis nurse- but when someone comes in so high they can't walk con't

NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Asked by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:55 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I love that, fireball1978, workfare. And I agree wholeheartedly. I have an aunt who is 65, able to work, but b/c of lack of ed., physical issues, etc. her employment ability is limited. She makes very little money, but not b/c she isn't willing. Yet when we filed her taxes she got a measly $30 for EIC.

Now, I'm not a proponent of EIC, just saying that as a tax prep. I also get SICK and TIRED of seeing able body young women who make it their job to be screwed by every man in this town looking to spread the love. They aren't at home raising their kids. The local school system encourages sending their babies to pre school at age 3. But the issue is that they can stay home, work at taco bell a few weeks and walk away from the tax desk with a BUTT load of cash. Can you say $4000 smackers? That burns MY butt. But the citizens in this country who have worked diligently and now are seniors get NO-thing!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:36 AM on May. 7, 2009

• call your senator
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Thank you for giving a crap!!!!!!!!!!!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:58 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I do agree drug testing should be done for welfare benefits. I have to drug test for my job, so does my spouse, and everyone else I know. Why should the governments money be any different. Also I think it should be workfare not welfare. If you can't find a job, there are plenty of streets to sweep, windows to wash and bathrooms to scrub in our government buildings. We should not be handing out free money to anyone.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 8:05 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't have a problem with required drug testing. You need to test to get a job, so they should be clean anyway.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree that you should have to pass a drug test to get food stamps or any federal assistance. I think it's stupid that my family cannot qualify for food stamps because we "make too much money" but the moron down the street can get it while he drive a brand new camarro.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 9:35 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree... I don't like that I'm contributing to paying for their 'munchie snacks' while they are laid up whacked out and their kids are doing without. I say drug test them, and if they're dirty, take their kids AND their benefits. If we have to pay for the kids, we might as well know that the money is going for the kids and not for the parents drug habit.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:39 AM on May. 7, 2009

• yes,I think this is a good idea,there are so many that are out there getting assistance,and selling or trading them for drugs,an there kids are the ones suffering.So yes, i thing it is a good idea.
    RedneckGranny

Answer by RedneckGranny at 9:54 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I am currently on assistance myself (Medicaid, WIC, Food Stamps) because of our personal situation. I have a high-risk pregnancy and cannot work, DF is barely making enough to pay rent and electric, let alone have money for water, transportation, food, my health care, etc. He doesn't even have health care for himself. And you know what?

YES. Drug testing should be mandatory in order for you to be on any kind of Public Assistance!

It's required at most jobs, so why on earth shouldn't it be required for PA? I see so many people abuse the system, and not only does it make it more difficult for people who truly need the help to get on it, but it tends to make everyone who uses PA, whatever their reasons or situation, to look bad. If I want to have a healthy pregnancy, have prenatal care, eat, and hopefully have a healthy baby, then I need PA. Don't make me look like I leech because you have bad habits that you can't support!
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Because of these people, if my DF were to make 5 more dollars a month, we wouldn't qualify (they base eligibility on before-tax income, not what you take home). This is despite the fact that our rent, power, and water are all darn near constantly in a state of 'over due', I'm afraid of losing our home, and after bills he 'takes home' a NEGATIVE amount of money. Don't make it so that we can't get help that we truly need, while you're doing coke, drinking at the clubs downtown, and buying Gucci sunglasses every weekend!
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:58 AM on May. 7, 2009