Epilepsy in my dog!

Just got the diagnosis was wondering who out there has this issue with their dogs and if you have any tips for us??? He is on Phenobarbitol 60mg 2x a day!Thanks in advance for any advice or tips! Thanks!

tlm3

Asked by tlm3 at 2:16 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Good luck with you dog. I hope all goes well. I've never had a dog with this condition, but I can imagine how stressful it could be.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:49 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I knew someone with a terrier mix that did fine on the meds for years. Good for u for taking care of ur fur baby. Some people are so quick to "not want to deal with it." good luck and give the pup a hug for me.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:43 AM on May. 7, 2009

• im sorry my story isnt a happy one. My grandma's irish setter had epilipisy and he was on meds but they didnt help. he ended up passing away a few months later. they did a necropsy ( autopsy for animals) and found that a brain tumor was causing the epilipisy. i hope this is not your outcome.
    ChloeMom0709

Answer by ChloeMom0709 at 2:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i had a daschound/jack russel mix. he got his first seizure at about a yr and a half..the vet put him on potasium bromide once a day every day for the rest of his life. we couldnt give him any protien becuase that's what would trigger the seizures..he still had seizures, just not as often as if he werent on the meds. my mom put him down when he was 4 1/2 becuase he couldnt live with me and his seizures slowly got worse..but i think thats becuase he didnt get his med as often as he should have. ..i think my mom just didnt want to deal w him anymore. just stay calm when your dog has a seizure..they're scared out of their minds and have no clue whats going on afterwards and it takes all their energy out of them. your dog could live for a long time, so dont freak thinking your dogs gonna die soon. im sure if i could let mine live w me, he'd still be happy and alive today. GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:51 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i had an golden retriever that was epileptic(sp).he also was on phenobarbitol.my best advice dont forget to give the dog his meds or he will have a seizure.my vet told me not to put my hands near his mouth when he had one so i would sit next to him.it was sad.he did live a long time though.ya they are very lathargic afterwards.eventually he started to have grand moll seizures.they were awful his body would actually lift off the floor.and he would let loose his bodily fuctions.the vet said the dog will let you know when the dog wants to go to rainbow bridge.(poem)he did .he started getting vicious.well he passed right after 9/11..that was a long time ago now.we did have him cremated and still have his ashes.and now we have a shepherd they are like night and daybut we love them equally...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 5:24 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Thanks to all who have shared so far! These are grand Mal seizures! and he is adjust well to meds and coming around!Any body out there use bachs rescue remedy for pets? Love to here your thoughts on that!
    tlm3

Answer by tlm3 at 5:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• We went through this years ago with a Dalmatian. Sadly the pheno did not work, even though we continued to increase the dosage the seizures worsened. As the level of meds increased there were side effects: weight gain, aggression (usually food based) lethargy after a seizure, injuries from the seizure...... I think the scariest was when he caught a squirrel and then had a gran mall with it still in his mouth, (alive for most). At the time I had 2 small children, we all loved the dog and tried for 2 years to help, but when he started acting aggressively to the kids..... good luck, I hope it works out better for your family then it did for us.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:51 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I have found a natural supplement that is for humans, but a lot of people are starting to give this to their animals with good results. Take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers   It will list epilepsy as a condition that can result from  an overload of heavy metals and toxins in our bodies and they are finding out that animals are experiencing some of the same diseases/symptoms as humans when being exposed to these toxins.  This product can safely and easily remove these toxins and promote better health.    Message me if you are interested in learning more about this and or how to order this product.  Awesome stuff!    Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 3:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thanks again to everyone for responding! Grit is doing great! We hope he continues to do well!Any other suggestions or stories or tips are welcome still!
    tlm3

Answer by tlm3 at 4:38 AM on May. 20, 2009