how can i get rid of head lice? becides rid? or nix?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on May. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i have heard that mayo works. good luck!
    dolphinstar79

Answer by dolphinstar79 at 3:31 AM on May. 7, 2009

• The best way I found was to use conditioner and a lice comb. If you do this every night for at least a week, maybe 10 days, you should stop any eggs hatching in their hair. If I recall correctly the life cycle is 7 days. It will not work if you don't correct where they are getting lice from. If they keep getting infected then you will have to repeat the conditioner treatment for 7 to 10 days after each infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I've also heard about the "mayo" method. We were going to try that once and thought it could become VERY messy so we decided to try another method --- baby oil. That also works great!!! Hope this helps. Good luck! = )
    Mariaej24

Answer by Mariaej24 at 7:26 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Well, I had tried everything. The conventional methods dont work on every head. I did the oil thing too. What worked FINALLY for us was washing her head in medicated shampoo. I used neutrogena t gel, but there are others. Anything medicated. THen coating it up in conditioner. I mean really soaking it in condition. Then run the lice comb through and make sure you get to the scalp. Shake it out after every comb. Do this every other night and by about 10 days, you should be clear. I will never put oil in my kids hair again. It took weeks to wash that mess out. My girls have long pretty hair and it made them look like they hadnt washed their heads in days. SO gross. I ended up cutting her hair up to her shoulders. Shes 11 now and her hair is down past the middle of her back. I will hurt anyone who brings that mess into my home again. Its not a problem at our current school. Thank goodness. Good luck with it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:39 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Tea Tree Oil, most places especially health food stores carry it, there are even some brands of tee tree oil that are made specifically for head lice. I swear by it, I battled it once for a year and was at the point of shaving my girls hair when my mom sent it to me, and within a week they were gone but I kept treating for a few more weeks just incase. I even had the prescription stuff and it didn't work, they have become very resistant to what would be the normal course of action.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:03 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My DD has long thick hair and for us the home and otc methods were a joke and a waste of money. Finally I called the doc and they called in someting called Ovide. It is a small glass bottle of clear liquid that smells just like kerosene. Stunk to high heaven but man did it work. I put in on her dry hair, put her hair up in a bandana and let her sleep with it on. The next day it took us about 6 shampoos to get rid of the stink, but I never once picked up a nit comb or checked her head after that. This stuff kills everything!
    Anonymous

• Well this is a good one... Yeah i can remember when my mom and all Would do our hair and all she make us set down and she going threw it one time with a Comb and then put the Iice Shappoo in and use the Lice Comb to go threw it and get all the bugs out and then when she got down she would make us go in the shower and wash it all out then but Cont. on it........
    Angels723

Answer by Angels723 at 1:29 PM on May. 8, 2009