whos right?

My husband says my 18 month old should be able to clean his room but i say no i have tried to show my son to but as soon as he picks something up he just goes and throws it again. am i right or is my husband?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 18 months we would clean up together. I would pick up my daughter and have her pick up toys and put them in the basket.
    I would hold off on vaccuming until he is bigger than the vaccum.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 AM on May. 7, 2009

• combination. It's ag ood time to teach your child to clean, but it's a process. They have short attention spands, so can't do much. And you need to make it fun. So encourage yoru child to put this toy in that basket and help show him. Over time, he'll get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yeah, I can see someone sending an 18 mo old to their room and telling them to clean it up. That sounds funny and extremely unrealistic. Having him come in and help you by making it a game might work, but still...hes just baby. Like the pp said...its a process.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:33 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I think 18 months is too young to expect them to be able to do it on their own. They can and should help clean up their messes.
    At 2 I started making my youngest do some of it herself while I supervised. In other words, I walked around the room and pointed out what wasn't put away and asked her where it went and showed her if she didn't know.
    By 2 1/2 she was cleaning it up on her own. Now she is 3 and does a better job cleaning up her room then her older siblings (who are 8, 7 and 6).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:04 AM on May. 7, 2009

• my son is 18 months tomorrow - He helps put things away and we do this daily but I would never expect him to know to clean his own room yet!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:37 AM on May. 7, 2009

• He's way too young. He is just barely old enough to help...
    Sammy, put all of your blocks in this bin. See, just like Mommy is doing.
    Great! All of the blocks are cleaned up. Now let's put all of your cars in this box.
    etc, etc, etc.

The task of "clean your room" is too big for most kids until mid grade school. For now, you have to break it down into this toy, then that toy. In a couple of years you can start breaking it down into toys, then clothes, then books, etc. Eventually you'll be able to simply tell him to clean his room and he'll be able to break it down into smaller tasks himself. But as I said, that's YEARS away.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 AM on May. 7, 2009