how can i get my two year old to stop throwing fits and throwing herself on the ground to get her way?

she gets a 3 hr nap during the day sometimes but usually no nap and wont sleep thru the night

mommyofrosebud

Asked by mommyofrosebud at 4:49 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's two! she's gonna throw fits to try and get her way, they call it "terrible twos" for a reason; its your job to stay firm and not let her fits cause her to get her way
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 4:57 AM on May. 7, 2009

• The best way to handle a temper tantrum is to ignore them. If she is in your way, pick her up and move her. when she understands that you are not going to react, they will fade away.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 AM on May. 7, 2009

• You are so right rkoloms
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:53 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Agree with rkoloms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree that ignoring the tantrums is the best thing to do but getting the sleeping problem solved might help as well. As 2 she should be sleeping through the night fairly regularly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Ignore them, just walk away. It does work because they just want your attention. Go into the other room and when they stop and come see you, give them a hug and tell them you aren't going to pay attention when they throw fits. They will learn.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:27 AM on May. 7, 2009

• That has been working for me so far between ignoring her fits and now (thank god) the threat of a time out usually stops it.
    d2photo

Answer by d2photo at 10:57 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yup, she is two and that is what they do, this too shall pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:17 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Haha. I don't think you can get her to stop. It's just part of the age. It's frustrating, I know because I currently have a 2 year old and have had 2 others. But they do grow out of it....at least quite a bit anyways.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:35 AM on May. 7, 2009

• She must take a lay down everyday. If she naps, great. If not, be sure to move bedtime up at least an hour. She still needs that sleep.

And never, ever give in. Don't try to talk her out of the fit - that just rewards her with attention - ignore her but stay in her sight. She is out of control and that is frightening. Having you near helps her with that fear while she struggles to calm down. But ignore her during the fit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on May. 7, 2009