How do I choose quality daycare for my child?

He'll be there soon. What do I look for and what do I ask? It's my first time. He's 13 months old and I've been home with him since birth. He's an only child at this point and I'd like him to experience being around other children.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 6:11 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you need to know the background side,and be sure that she will in good hands ...
    kathberrY_0914

Answer by kathberrY_0914 at 8:02 AM on May. 7, 2009

• The best day care is at home with his mom. Children do not need to be around other children to learn to be social. When they interact with their parents & other family members, they are learning social skills. I'll never understand having children just to stick them in day care for a stranger to raise... it's sad...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• that's the center has an open door policy. The teacher to student ratio. And I disagree with anonymous. My husband and I work opposite shifts so my youngest doesn't need daycare. Her siblings are 15 and 12 and she's 3. She does not know how to interact with kids her own age cause all my friends have older kids. Not all parents have kids and stick them into daycare for someone else to raise. My 3 yo is going in the fall to preschool 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day. There is nothing wrong with exposing one's kids to a learning environment.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:41 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I disagree wtih the first annon. Day cares have great benefits

http://www.babycenter.com/0_childcare-options-pros-cons-and-costs_5937.bc
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_daycare-centers-overview_49.bc (be sure to check out the signs of a good/bad day care)

My dd is in day care and has been since 8 weeks. She loves her teachers and I have never felt as though they replace me. She runs to them in the mornings and gets 8x as excited int he evenings when I get back! She knows all the other kids names and does well there.

I also don't believe day care raises your kids for you. If they did, all the kids in each class would be equally as well behaved. You can see clear difference between the kids and it has to do with personality and parenting.

Anyhow, check out those articles and google checklists for day cares to help you in yoru search.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 7, 2009

• When you take a tour of a childcare center, ask the teachers how long they have worked for that specific center - the more long-term teachers they have (5yrs +) the more confident you can be in the kind of care your child will get. Child care usually brings a high turn-over of teachers, it's a VERY hard job and it's easy to get burned out quickly - if a teacher has been somewhere for 5+ years, then you can rest assured it is a happy place to be for all involved - happy teachers = happy kids!
    (I worked as a child care sub for 10 years, as well as several long-term, or full-time assignments - on top of being a nanny for two different families - I have seen all sorts of conditions)
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 12:14 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Thank you for all the POSITIVE feedback ladies!
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 3:52 PM on May. 7, 2009

• More positive info. for you:): I am looking at switching child care centers currently, not because anything is 'wrong' or 'bad' with where my daughter is currently enrolled in daycare, but I see that even though she is at a good NAEYC accredited facility, I think she could use a bit more stimulation, a bit more discipline (her particular teacher is only 19), a bit more space to run around in, and I think the center could be a little cleaner too. Anyway, I have seen a lot of nice centers recently! While it's probably not ideal to switch, it's kind of hard to know what type of place will work best for your child until you begin childcare. That being said, visit as many places as you can. Drop by unannounced, (just not during naptime - it will be too dark & quiet to tell anything!). I look for happy kids, a clean environment, a mix of younger and older teachers, a decent-sized indoor or/and outdoor play space, artwork on the wall
    eccccp

Answer by eccccp at 12:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2009