I am SICK of being depressed!

I work and sleep, I'm a nurse 3rd shift, and have depression among diabetes and asthma. I feel horrible, it seems all I do is work and sleep. My 2 y/o favors dad, no its not just the depression, he even went to my 11 y/o daughter when he hurt his fingers! We were sitting next to each other, I picked him up and he reached for her!!!!!!! What the **** is going on! Sure I work hard and sleep a lot, but what about quality not quantity!? I feel so stuck ... now that is the depression talking! Ugh, there is so much going thru my head I'm making myself tired. Anyhow, any suggestions, I am so open right now. Thanks in advance!

mama060297

Asked by mama060297 at 8:09 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Health

• The asthma will make you feel miserable on its own, and the other problems must be unbearable!
    It is possible that the 2 year old is just going through a stage or that you are just noticing more, because you are sad and worried, when he goes to others first and forgetting when he comes to you. or perhaps in your tiredness and sadness you haven't meant to but you pushed him away- I'm not saying you did, but it's possible. He'll come around. Depression is truly miserable. I had a very light bout of it and remember how I suffered even with that. It sounds as though you are overworked and overtired. Try to rest every chance you get, and get a medical checkup to rule out other problems than you already know about- hormones,for example. Feel better, and hugs to you.

Answer by Bmat at 8:23 AM on May. 7, 2009

• The little one probably feels your negative energy so don't get upset over that. He's not rejecting you, just reacting to what he senses. What about a break? Mini vacation? Does your doctor approve of 5-htp for your depression? I only take 5 - 10 mg a day in my tea instead of the 25 mg in the capsule. I read you need no more than 10 a day.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:25 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Is there any way you can change shifts? Your body is programed to be asleep during those hours. And there have been studies done that says woman who work graveyard shifts are 50% more likely to have a heart attack than woman who work regular hours. The body does not respond well if your constantly awake when you shouldn't be. Also, if you had a similar schedule to your child, then you would end up spending more them. This is what i would do if it is at all possible.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:30 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I'm so sorry. I truly feel for ya. :) Like the prev. posters, see if you can switch shifts. The human body works best when is works with the rising of the sun. The brain functions better with light. Also, studies have proven that there is more depression with those that work nites. It really is hard on the body and the brain.

I'm certain you already know this, but as an encouragement, I would modify my food intake. As a hard working mom your body needs the same attention as your two year old. Junky food (fast food, chips, soda's, desserts, sugar, etc.) are the death of the human body. It simply cannot use junky foods to fuel it and maintain health. EVen one meal a day of less than high quality food damages not only damages our organs (pancreas, stomach, kidneys, heart) but it also gives a beating to the emotions.

Lastly, take your family for a brisk 20-30 min. brisk walk, stroll the 2yo & you'll feel better.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:47 AM on May. 7, 2009

• A vaca would rock about now, unfortunately I just finished my 90 days last month. Although I took a PTO day on Monday.. really didn't help though. As far as 50% for heart attack, try hearing from different nurses (that do not even know each other) that 3rd shifters live 10 years less, at this rate with all the other problems I have, I have about a good 5 years of living left! Okay, seriously, that is not something they should be saying, they don't know about my depression though. I am ALWAYS looking for another shift, this week I sent out my resume to 3 places! Then again... the economy! Will it ever end?
    mama060297

Answer by mama060297 at 8:49 AM on May. 7, 2009

• try an herb called lemon balm, i take it for depression and panic attacks, it stopped my panic attacks completely. i swear by it. and there are no negative side effects whatsoever. i have also been on zoloft and prozac, those meds are crap, they only made my symptoms worse.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:51 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I understand your pain completely. When I started to work, it was to make up for the difference, but then the difference got wider and wider. One job became two and a half. Reason why, desperation for money. Beyond just the burnout, I took the lack of intervention from my SO as a personal insult because where and when I worked put me in some dangerout situation. Wasn't long until I had to reevaluate and break up. What helped me was the availability of having a few people. I survived on FAFSA while attending classes, and worked on the side to pay for my daughter's care. Then after I was able to find my own two feet. My daughter has grown up to be a very beautiful and responsible lady.

One thing I learned to be very careful about (among many things) is not to open my head to so-called "professional counseling". They repeated things I already knew, and made me blame myself. I became dysthymic. I healed myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Hi mama060297!

Listen, I understand how it can really hurt your feelings if your son goes to everyone else other than you but remember that kids pick up on your feelings and if your not the happiest most inviting camper in the house then he's not going to want to bother or irritate you or go near you. I am prone to depression, I've been through quite a few speed bumps in my life and I have body issues that make me depressed. What I find that really helps is getting some exercise and going outside. It seems that you are not focusing on or taking care of yourself.

To get motivated, put some sweats on and don't forget the sneakers, sneakers are important in motivating me, I instantly feel sportier. Try some light stretching, stream some music on pandora.com while cleaning your house or just hanging out. I find a manicure or a just a new stick of lipstick help...find the little things that make you happy.

Hope this helps.
    JoelleAyala

Answer by JoelleAyala at 3:34 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Just an update... I have started taking my regular meds since I have gotten my insurance. My son is coming to me again!!! It makes me feel SOOOO good! It was the best Mother's Day gift! All my kids know how to make me feel special as well as my hubby! As far as the job, I am working on getting a day shift position where I am at or looking elsewhere. I HATE depression, I feel like another person during it! I am not sure since I have had so many bouts of it during my life, that I will ever be off my meds. I am planning to see a physician to help me figure that out. THANK YOU to all who have answered, your time and concern are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
    mama060297

Answer by mama060297 at 11:26 PM on May. 11, 2009