How do I get oil/grease from a bowling ball out of clothing?

My daughter recently went to a bowling party & wore a brand new shirt. She got some of the black oil/grease from the bowling ball on the front of it. It has been washed a couple of times with Shout put on it, but the stain is still there. I thought about trying some Oxyclean powder. Have you had any luck with getting something like this out of clothes?

soccermom0002

Asked by soccermom0002 at 8:11 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Try the oxyclean. I use De-Solv-It, it is located near the oxyclean area in the stores. If you have washed it in hot water or dried it in a hot dryer, it may have set the stain. I hope you are able to get it out. Depending on the stain, and if you can't get it out, you may need to embroider or applique something over it to hide the stain.

Answer by Bmat at 8:18 AM on May. 7, 2009

• At this point try the Oxy. In the future when you have a grease/oil based stain put good old regular DAWN dishwashing soap on it rub it in and then rinse in the sink. Then was as normal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:24 AM on May. 7, 2009

• You might want to try to hand wash it with dishwashing liquid soap. This soap takes grease out. I've yet to try it, but I've heard you can wash baseball caps in your dishwasher (in the top rack) and the oily ring will disappear.

Good luck
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 8:39 AM on May. 7, 2009

• try WD40, the main ingredient is fish oil, it won't hurt the clothing and will take the grease right out...it's a little smelly so wash normally in the washer after getting the stain out, good luck
    Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 8:58 AM on May. 7, 2009

• hey, for more info about WD40 and it's uses, check out my journal...

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1315132/WD40_helpful_hints
    Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 9:01 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I like Oxyclean, but learn from my mistake. If you are going to make a paste out of it as the label says that you can, please wear gloves when handling it. I did not and it literally burned a hole in my skin. Had to be treated for six weeks as a burn. Very painful.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:56 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I use a degreaser that I buy in the automotive section! It is called SUPERCLEAN. then I would wash it in hot water. good luck!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:08 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I used to work in a muffler factory and Dawn was what I used to remove grease and oil.
    lilac7779

Answer by lilac7779 at 2:53 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Hello,

Here is some info for removing greasy stains:
    To remove greasy stains sprinkle baby powder or cornstarch on the grease stain and let it sit for a few minutes. After you have let it sit for a couple of minutes brush it off and the stain will come out as you brush it off. I hope this helps. I got it from this article, it also has tips for removing tons of other common stains, even permanent marker.

http://www.1stclasscleaningnyc.com/articles/apr09/tips-tricks-to-remove-stains.html

JoelleAyala

Answer by JoelleAyala at 3:20 PM on May. 8, 2009