Does anyone else think WIC give you WAY to much cereal?

I have over 20 boxes... Im giving some to the food shelf! I get WIC gfor me and my son right now and we go through everything else but cereal just adds up.. does any one else think they need ot give us less cereal and more of something else?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:38 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• you don't have to get everything on your checks. Just to let you know if you didnt already. if you want to you can still get them and give the to the food shelf. that kind of stuff is really needed. you can also drop them off at a recruiting office for the military. they can find a way to give them to families in need in other countries who don't have programs like we do.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:35 AM on May. 7, 2009

• i get wic and i get rice crispy and make rice crispy treats out of them. Or i get corn flakes and use them to bread chicken. i also go threw the cabinet and mix up serval different kinds of cereal, cheese crackers, raisins, or anything else that is dry and mix it all up in a gallon bag and give it to my kids as snack.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 9:44 AM on May. 7, 2009

• You know twinseptember is right make crispy treats with them.Wic is redoing what they give out less milk up to 4 gallons,more fruit,wheat bread the whole grain one.Next month do not forget that they are giving out farmers markets checks.I go to different wics because one gives out bread and the other tuna,oranges,lemons and they also give away vouchers,so you can have two cans of tuna,tortillas,beans etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on May. 7, 2009

• We can get up to six boxes a month. My kids don't eat it and I will go through a box of it a week. I give a lot of it to the food bank. It's use or lose. We aren't saving WIC any money since it's already been alloted. It's like taking a check to the bank and only cashing part of it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• We have way too much cereal. Our local wic stopped letting us get rice crispies so now I either don't get the cereal or give it to a friend. We do get cheerios so sometimes I make cheerio bars. My kids love them, and they are still healthy. Not a lot of sugar. I am excited for all the changes they are making though. Fresh fruit is going to be great!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:51 AM on May. 7, 2009

• A healthy diet should include 7 servings of whole grains every day. As long as the cereal is whole grain, I don't see the issue.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:15 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Just because you have the coupons doesn't mean you have to buy all the food that is listed on it. If you aren't going to use it, don't buy it. I rarely bought everything that was on my WIC coupons, the money that is saved from you or I not buying something is put back into the program to fund others needs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:05 PM on May. 7, 2009

• We actually eat it all. Cereal is my midnight snack (and craving!) and I eat big bowls! I figure it's gotta be better than ice cream!!!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 7:03 PM on May. 8, 2009