• In the Spotlight:

IF you quailifed for AND REALLY NEEDED Foodstamps, would you use them?

I have needed and used them in the past.. and if i need them again i will use them.. i REFUSE to live off the system like some .. BUT I will use help that is there when i do need it...

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:39 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• i know we could use them, besides rent and c/s and normal bills we dont have alot for food i have to make due. but still they say he makes to much but its really just enough for rent and c/s sometimes we dont even have enough for that on some weeks. so my dh works xtra hours if he can just so we can buy food and diapers. times are tough right now. but even 50.00 would be helpful food wise..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 7, 2009

• yep I sure would use them if we qualified, and really needed them. Right now we do Okay but sometimes it gets tight and sometimes you just got to stretch what you have as much as you can and it sucks. I wouldn't live off the government but if we needed the help I would take it to feed my kids.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 9:04 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I had foodstamps when I was on maternity leave. I only qualified for 3 months and then they wanted me to go back to work. I wasn't quite ready, so I lost the benefits, but the amount they gave us lasted almost 5 months anyway!
    If I needed it, and we qualified, I'd take them until things were settled. There's a difference between using benefits when you need them (as a taxpayer, I'm paying for them anyway!) and having kids every year and getting assistance for the rest of your life.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:03 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I am single with no support and only one child(who is 13). I work, am buying a house, just paid off the used car I bought and I qualify and use food stamps. If I didn't use them or didn't qualify, we would be hard up for food. I feel that since I do work full time and am buying a house and car, that I am not just living off assistance. I have to have it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:08 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My son is a special needs child and I am not able to work for he needs 24 hour care....I am on foodstamps and not by choice....It is very hard to accept that I have to live this way.....I am thankful for all that the system does, but want to get out of it......I am attending college as a single mom so that I can eventually take care of him and I on my own....It is a tough situation to be in , but when you have not a choice but to use food stamps or starve, What would you do?
    mirakoboy

Answer by mirakoboy at 10:18 AM on May. 7, 2009

• my mom was on foodstamps when i was growing up because we needed them. i have not had to use them myself, but would if i had to, that is what they are there for, to help you when you need it.
    gybdeb

Answer by gybdeb at 11:09 AM on May. 7, 2009

• yes i would. i have been on foodstamps in the past and am very grateful for that. we longer need assistance. there's nothing wrong with getting public assistance when you need it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I get foodstamps now. I have a 3yr old girl and her dad decieced not to pay childsupport and go make a new family for himself. I have been on then since she was born. When i get to the point where i dont need them anymore something happens and i am back on them. I'd rather use them then not feed my daughter.
    hannahsproudmom

Answer by hannahsproudmom at 11:47 AM on May. 7, 2009

• In a heartbeat! If it comes down to pride or my kids eating, i will swallow my pride in an instant to make sure my kids have what they need.
    Anonymous