Feeding question

So, my daughter is getting cereal in the morning and at nighttime with fruit or vegetables. She is 7 months old, should she be getting cereal with her lunch feeding as well? She is only getting 2 tbls in the am and 2 tbls in the pm with fruit and veggies? She also gets bottles throughout the day.

valerieruth1215

Asked by valerieruth1215 at 8:46 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should watch how much cereal you give her. it will constipate her. i would suggest just giving her cereal in the mornings. for lunch and dinner substitute with a meat, veggie, and fruit.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:53 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Shes not eating much at this point, I wouldnt worry about the middle of the day. I waited until my son was eating quite a bit more before I started giving him solids in the middle of the day. Also, let her tell you when she is ready. My son started really showing interest in our food, thats when I knew he was ready for a little more than just a bottle. I also found that if I noticed my son getting constipated, I mixed a little bit of pureed prunes into whatever he was eating. It worked well, but I would only add a very little bit because too much can created quite the "mess" if you know what I mean. I think every baby is so different, just pay close attention to her attitude towards food, that will give you the best inclination to when shes ready.
    JulsB

Answer by JulsB at 10:06 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Before age 1, solids are fed to babies for the experience of eating them; nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula. Many nutritionists recommend skipping cereal, and giving baby avocado as the first solid. Other great solids are baked sweet potato and cooked and mashed beans. Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers; you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My son is 7.5mos old & He generally eats rice cereal mixed w/fruit in the morning...maybe some prunes/fruit during the day ( he gets constipated very easily )...some meat/veggies at night w/breast feedings all throughout the day. **Fruit/veggies during the day is better than cereal because it can constipate her.
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 12:35 PM on May. 7, 2009