How can I get my daughter to eat solids?

My daughter is 7 months and I have been trying her with different solids for a month but she HATES the texture of all of them, banana, avocado, rice cereal, carrots etc. She will suck on a peice of banana or carrot but if she gets a little in her mouth she shivers, sometimes gags and will not swallow it.
I don't want to force her but she's not sleeping well at night at all and I think she might still be hungry or would sleep better with some more sustinence. By the way, she is exclusively breastfed right now.

LeoneLover13

Asked by LeoneLover13 at 8:52 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is something you are going to have to keep giving her. she just needs to get used to the idea of eating different foods. keep doing what you are doing and one day she will get the hang of it. try giving her yogurt, gerber crackers (not zwieback toast. I would not recommend that to anyone. it comes apart in large pieces and my daughter choked on it twice.) you can also try the freeze dried fruit and yogurt bites. my kids loved them at that age. right now if she won't eat the solids, still give her the jar food to fill her up at night.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:57 AM on May. 7, 2009

• If you haven't tried already... heat the foods up
    Play with the texture... maybe more thick or more thin would work better. My son only liked his thick even when he first started foods
    Maybe skip the puree's altogether and move on to some easy finger foods
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:23 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Just follow her lead. If she's not taking it, she's not ready. 7 mos is still young. Generally speaking, solids don't usually have much to do with sleeping well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:11 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I doubt her sleeping has anything to do with sleeping because up until a year they dont need anything besides breastmilk or formula. It's only practice at this point and she's still very young. Keep trying, but dont force it. Play with the temperature and texture. Have you tried giving her food that's not pureed? Like chunkier food? She'll eventually get used to it. You still have a while to keep offering it to her :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 3:22 PM on May. 7, 2009