should I rush into getting toddler beds or should i try crib tents? 2 year old twin girls, who love to jump!

They share a room, love their cribs, but Marin jumped out of the crib last week and Addie has had a leg over the side and its just a matter of time until she escapes the crib.
I am not concerned with them running all over the house at night, its just that I just got to sleep through the night and not sure if I'm ready to give that up yet... please advise!

my2girls7707

Asked by my2girls7707 at 9:12 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't waste your money getting crib tents. If they are already crawling out, IMO, it would be better to just take that next step and get them into toddler beds.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:18 AM on May. 7, 2009

• well does your twins cribs side rail remove? does it turn into a toddler bed? if not then i would think it is time for a toddler bed. I started my son in his toddler bed at 19 months because he started climbing out of his crib at that time. I was concerned with him going through the house at night because I did not want him going into the bathroom and since he liked to pull chairs up to the counters in my kitchen i would always make sure there was a gate at his room in the hallway so he could not go in the living room/kitchen and i always closed my bathroom door. the only place he could go is in my room. ( he is a partial co-sleeper).
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:19 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I would go with the toddler beds. Your DDs are old enough to be in a toddler bed. Just put a gate up at their door to keep them confined at night. But you may be surprised. My 27 mo DS was climbing out of his crib. We moved him to his toddler bed at 18 months. He has never gotten out of bed since then. I feel that he was feeling trapped in the crib. But being in a big boy bed he feels free and doesn't feel the need to "escape". Just a thought. But your girls are definitely old enough for big girl beds.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 9:46 AM on May. 7, 2009

• personally, I'd skip the crib and move to beds. I suspect th eproblem may not be sleeping through the night as much as just getting them down at night until they get use to the idea fo the bed. We skipped the toddler bed and went directly to a regular bed. They outgrow the toddler beds so quickly and then you have yet another transition to deal with. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I would just get toddler beds. My daughter was sleeping in a toddler bed when she was 18 months, and we didn't have any issues with her wandering around at night. Although, she always slept through the night and we didn't need to worry about it.
    JZamora13

Answer by JZamora13 at 10:31 AM on May. 7, 2009

• When my little Deanna started with the jumping out.
    We bought the side rail (the kind that tuck undre reg. matress so they cant fall out of a big bed) put the crib mattress on the floor and put the side rail on it. Skipped the toddler bed b/c they dont last long enough for me to justify the expense (I'm cheap!) when she got used to the bed situation we moved up to a regular bed and used the bed rail with that.
    I would was worried about a 2yr old running around the house at night---we used the previously retired baby monitor and I delt with the getting up, only lasted a few night and was TOTALLY worth it!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:57 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Oh and I wouldnt waste $ on the crib tents. :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:58 AM on May. 7, 2009

• 2 yrs is about the age they climb out so I would just go with the bed if I were you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:16 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I love crib tents BUT yours are too old to adjust to the extra confinement of the tent.

If you think yours will jump on their beds, consider getting mattresses and just putting them directly on the floor. Then if they jump, they won't fall far if they fall off the "bed". You could start by simply using their crib mattressess and trying to curb the jumping behavior... once it's somewhat under control you can decide between toddler beds and their permanent beds.

To encourage proper jumping, consider getting one of the toddler trampolines. My daughter loves hers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:47 AM on May. 7, 2009