How can i let his family know this?

Okay I'm wiccan. i'm not shy about it and i'm not in the closest. My boyfriend's family is mostly (very) catholic. I'll do the big wedding for them and so on. But how can i show them that i do not worship the devil and i respect there religion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• try finding a book that easily explains your religion to them.. i know how hard that will be though being that they are catholic, but they have to respect you since you are marrying into their family. it will be tough, but they will come around.
    4weeman

Answer by 4weeman at 10:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Simply by being a living example of your values and beliefs. In time they will come to understand that there is no harm in yur religion (although you should be prepared for the fact that they will most likely continue to address their concern for your soul).
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 10:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Just be honest. If they are true believers then they won't judge. But I do wish you the bessed of luck because it's going to be a bumpy ride!
    meghancooper

Answer by meghancooper at 11:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I deleted and retyping my answer...I made a mistake in the first one (sorry)
    Anyway, I'm a Catholic-Christian, and I just have 2 questions. 1) Does your BF consider himself to be Catholic? and 2) By big wedding do you mean having a wedding in a Catholic Church?

If you are planning such a wedding then you might want to know that by doing so your BF is promising to raise any children you have together Catholic and you are agreeing to this and agreeing to help raise the children Catholic as well.~~This is because for us Marriage is a Sacrament~~ If you want more info regarding what Catholic believe re: marriage please PM me. This may help you in the long run!!! (that's what I meant to say the first time.:) Good Luck!!

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I would be open with them about what you believe and be open to learning what they believe. Consider entering an RCIA class just to learn what Catholics believe. You can take the class just to learn and not to actually convert. You shouldn't feel pressure to convert from the family. It would be nice to know what Catholics believe though for the sake of your children. This will help you and your future husband discuss how you will teach your children about what you each believe and find the common ground you share. Hopefully his family will be respectful of what you believe and open to understanding it. Know that the Catholic Church teaches that you must always follow the dictates of your concience so let his family know this is what you are doing.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 12:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I think this is up to your husband to be. Have you and he discussed how you will raise children? Catholics sometimes find it difficult to dismiss the practices of their faith in adulthood and expect it will be done the same for their children. Have you talked about it yet? Why aren't you planning what you want for your wedding? I imagine you have practices for joining together as a Wiccan. I think you should be able to include them if it matters to you. Just a thought about what is best for you, IMO.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Yes my and my furture hubby has talked about raising your children to believe in what they want. Let them choose their path. Yes there is a way that wiccan's get together. The only reason i agreed to a catholic wedding is because of my bf's grandma might not be alive much longer and he wants his grandma to watch him get married.
    XavierLeesmommy

Answer by XavierLeesmommy at 4:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• catholics?! good luck honey!
    born and raised into a catholic family myself and they won't care for your beliefs no matter what you do. they'll expect you to baptize and raise your kids catholic. to go to church on easter and christmas. basically if you want to get along and not have the "in laws" problem then DO NOT reveal you are a wiccan.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 1:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Well I know that my husband and I got married in a Lutheran church for his family. (I was raised in the church but converted to Wicca when I was about 13 or 14). His mom is a Baptist and will not understand and accept anything that he or I say to her. Her response is usually something along the lines of "MY Grandchild will NOT be raised in a NON-Christian home." So we have gotten to the point of just not talking to her about it.
    MommyNerdfighte

Answer by MommyNerdfighte at 4:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I would not worry about it- they are just as pagan as you are.
    Anonymous