8 y/o exposing body parts?!?!?!?!?!?

my son showed his yoo-hoo to another boy on the bus and then touched the other boy's yoo-hoo. is this normal?? what do i do?? this is not the first time something like this has happened and i don't know if someone has done this to him or he just has poor stress coping skills. i need help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is VERY private about his body. I mean, he hates it if I have to go into the bathroom to grab something really quick while he is in the shower, with the curtain pulled. I am not implying this means something happened to your son, just relaying my son's behavior regarding this. He is 7 by the way. The signs you really should check for are diet changes, mood changes, sleep problems, regressive behavior like bedwetting or thumb sucking. Most of the time, children that have been in uncomfortable situations like the ones you fear will display at least one of these regularly. Not like today he woke up and didn't want to eat and just kind of sulked but yesterday and the day before he was fine. I mean a regular thing or a drastic "roller coaster" of emotion. Ask him why he showed the other boy his private. Perhaps he doesn't really understand that it is in face "private". CONT
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:40 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Try to explain the difference between private and public behavior again. And like I said, talk to him. Try too understand why he was so open. I have a firm believe that children will explore anything they have to opportunity to explore. I really would just talk to him about the entire thing, stressing private vs public, and then wait. If it happens again, or you notice those changes in him, perhaps have him see a counselor to talk.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:41 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I do not consider this to be normal behavior. If he has been taught that his private parts are to be private, then perhaps he was asked to show them and didn't have the inner strength to refuse. If he has been taught not to show his private parts, then maybe you need to reinforce that lesson and give him a more detailed explanation as to why that kind of thing is inappropriate and dangerous. I would also be careful about what he sees on television and who his friends are. Sex has become nothing more than a recreational activity to far too many people. If we are to have our children know that it is to be shared within the bounds of marriage, we are going to have to be extra diligent to teach that concept. If he knew that he was not supposed to do what he did, I would have spanked his bare behind as a discipline for disobeying and disrespecting what he had been taught. Those are always spankable offences.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:46 AM on May. 7, 2009

• We had a situation like this with my son & his cousin when the boys were about 6. I understand that it is very upsetting. Sit down with your son & explain things. Make sure he knows he is in a safe conversation & that anything he tells you, he will not get in trouble for. He is 8 & old enough to understand right & wrong, & being touched touching other children falls on the wrong side. Ask him if anyone has ever made him feel uncomfortable before. Explain what his body parts are for. Stay scientific, do not be embarrassed. If he does not know the facts, he needs to know them. He is obviously curious about his yoo-hoo. Curious children are going to seek out answers to their questions. I know this may be uncomfortable, but explain everything to him about sex, & adult relationships, yes, even the dreaded topic of masturbation. Use the proper terminology.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:53 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Also explain that these are private situations, & assure him that it is normal. Let him know that now that he is older, you will respect his privacy by knocking & waiting to be invited through a closed door, & he should have the same respect for others also. If he asks you questions, be honest. This is most likely a case of extreme curiosity. Remember to appear comfortable with the conversation so he feels he can ask & tell you everything he wants or needs to. Make sure all of his questions are answered & if there is one you can’t answer, look it up together online. This will lead to a more open & honest relationship with your son & a healthy attitude towards sex for him. Good luck momma!
    carlye828

• I know what your going through. My stepson came home from school and informed me that his friends had been punching him in his "wrong spot" and he liked how it felt. And then told me that sometimes he punches himself there and how good it feels. We tried talking to his biomom about it, and she wouldn' thave any part of it.. But it's not normal to touch another boys private spot.. I don't know what to tell you.. I just know we told our little boy that he's not to punch it, not to have anyone else touch him there.. That's its a private part AND not a toy and not to be played with anywhere in public.. I'm so sorry.. We're going through the same thing though, so I know how your feeling.. Hope it gets worked out soon.. GL
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 1:16 PM on May. 7, 2009

• well worried mom: My son is 8 almost 9 and he literately screams "MOM GET OUT" when I come in the bthroom while hes in the shower{ like mom above curtains closed and I just need something really quick} or he covers and drops if i walk into his room and catch him changing, so He too is very private.
    However you concerns arent far fetched and its good that you are inquiring. i would def A: ask him flat out. b: talk to his dr or school counselor, maybe they can help you medically in finding out if there are any unresolved "issues" going on that he hasnt told you about.
    -momOFtwo-

Answer by -momOFtwo- at 5:06 PM on May. 8, 2009