Homeschooling is on the rise.

So Ive recently become VERY aware that homeschooling is on the rise. Its amazing what a little research into something can do for your way of thought.
My questions are: have you ever considered the option? what was you conclusion? Did you research the topic, or leave yourself to just opinions? If you decided against homeschooling, what FACTS (research) helped you base your final decision.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Im tired of their crap, Im tired of their testing, Im tired of the rules, Im tired of the letters about how many days my kids have missed (like I don't know), I am tired of it all. My kids are already working past grade level anyway. Im feeling an urge to protect them a bit more socially as well. My kids are not sheltered and they are quite social. In fact, I think they are almost too social...LOL I want my own schedule and I want to be the boss of my kids education. I am capable of doing this and quite frankly, I am more qualified than some of their teachers. Theyve had some real winners over the years. As far as cirriculum goes, I think I have decided on ACE. They will be doing their work on the computer. I think ACE does paces or dvds. I will have to double check. ABeka is good, but my kids are past that. Im confident that this decision is the righe one, so no amt of criticism from family is changing my mind. Wish me luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:36 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I'm currently leaning on the option of homeschooling over public school. I learned my facts through my own experience and some research. Schools have a harder time focusing on the student and their needs unlike a homeschooling mother who can give the student undivided attention and help. There's a lot of one on one time. A teacher is in a class room with several students, so if one is struggling, they often keep on struggling. Peer pressure is a huge thing. I know that personally I did/said things that I'd never do just to be "cool" in front of my friends/boyfriends. It's very easy to find trouble at school and get away with it. There's drugs, violence, smoking, pills and all kinds of things kids/teens do at school. The only disadvantage I see there is I wouldn't get a peaceful break for 8 hours a day, but that doesn't even seem like much of a disadvantage. When it comes to friends, I can go to homeschooling groups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes, Ive been pondering it for many years. Ive always known that I wanted to, but yet, I felt a bit intimidated by the whole process. I have decided to take the plunge next year. For a few reasons...first my second daughter will be in middle school and I do not feel she is emotionally or academically ready to be in such an environment. Ive already been through it with one child and though it wasnt too bad, she was a totally different kid. I don't want to see my sweet innocent child grow up too fast and I know thats what will happen. My third child just wants to be homeschooled. I think it would be very beneficial for him. My three yr old will do age appropriate things. My 10th grader will not be homeschooled. We are considering a private christian school for her. She needs to be around students of her skill level and also we want her in a christ like environment. Basically to make a long story short....IM DONE with PS. Cont.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I want to include one more thing. Another fact that could be a disadvantage is the parents have to educate themselves in order to educate their children. You can't HS if you don't know how to teach it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I will agree with anon 9:34......You have to have some basic skills before jumping into this. A lot of it can be learned, but I feel a person needs to basically have an average working knowledge of teaching and whats involved before starting. Im not saying genius level or anything, but an average IQ would help. Thats why I get so frustrated at the school system. Some of those teachers have no business being in there. I don;t know how they got through college, but their basic common sense skills lack desperately. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:40 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My son is 4 next month and I've been considering homeschooling for a long time; however, I have 50/50 joint legal decision making, so I can't make the final decision on my own. I don't think his father will agree with homeschooling, but I want to keep all my options open. I've done a lot of reading about homeschooling, spoken with parents of homeschoolers, parents with kids in PS or private (Catholic school is my 2nd choice). I'm a single mom and I know it can be done, especially if I join a homeschool group where I'm not the sole teacher for my son. My job is the other factor which still needs to be worked out. We have some flexibility now regarding working from home or in the office, but it's not to a point where homeschooling is a practical option. So, yes, I've researched it, I've considered my lifestyle, but ultimately it's still a joint decision between my son's father and I.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:44 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My son is 13 and I am debating on it for the next school year. I am a single mom and have to work full-time, so, I am going to test run it this summer to see if we could do it before I just jump right in. I am thinking on it because my son is really smart, but, not being taught to his level. He makes not so good grades because he is bored and I think he has a slight Auditory Processing Issue. With the AP issue, being in a class with 20 talking, hyper kids does not help him at all. He needs quiet to learn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I stumbled upon a book about homeschooling at the library. My kids were toddlers at the time. I then read every book the library carried on the subject. I've now been homeschooling 6 years.

I researched it long and hard before starting to homeschool; I made a point of meeting homeschoolers and their kids. I can honestly say it's very rewarding for our entire family and I'm really glad we choose to homeschool.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:17 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I love all these positive stories about homeschooling! Love it, Love it!

But, where are the people against homeschooling?!
    Im so interested in why anyone would be against homeschool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My family would be because they think kids wouldn't be socialized or that we would slack off and he wouldn't learn as much as at PS. I think he would learn way more. I am gonna try and convince my family that it is good if our test run works out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:41 AM on May. 7, 2009