Any advise for getting my 9 month old to sleep better at night?

My son was 8 weeks premature and therefore spent 31 days in the NICU. There they woke him up every 3 hours to eat. I have never been able to get him to sleep for long periods of time. Once in a great while I will get him to go 4 or 5 hours. However more often then not he wakes up every couple of hours. He doesnt need anything. I dont have to feed him or change him. I just have to roll him back to his side and rub his back for a few minutes. Sometimes all I have to do is SHhhh him softly and he goes right back to sleep. I think its just a bad habit but I cannot break him of it. I have tried to just let him cry. I did it for over a week straight and it did not make a difference. Do I need to do it longer, is there any other tricks that have worked for you? Is 9 months just too early to expect him to sleep?
At this point I am willing to try just about anything. Any help/advise is welcomed! :)

JulsB

Asked by JulsB at 9:50 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our daughter slept all night at 3 months and is almost 8 months now. So no 9 months isn't to early. He isn't rolling himself over yet? If he likes is side then put a wedge behind him so he doesn't get on his back. If he is not hungry then he will cry it out himself and needs to learn to do so. It may take longer than a week. how long did you let him cry? We started off with 10 minutes with our daughter then would check on her, comfort her and let her go 10 more minutes the next time. IT took us about 3 days to get her to realize she was fine, now she will talk to herself until she falls asleep. He is used to you rubbing and comforting him, is he in your room or his own room? He may be ready to go to his own room as he hears noises now while sleeping unlike a 4 or 6 month old.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I started the crying it out method at 8 months because my son wouldn't sleep longer than 3 hours either but by this time is WAS A bad habit. So I have let him cry up to 2 hours. He never learned to self sooth due to extreme colic. It worked for him but I am very consistant and it wasn't overnight - some weeks were better than others and teething in the mix was hard too. but the longer you wait to teach him to self sooth, the harder it will be - they have many books - one I would recommend is healthy sleep habits, happy child - it has many methods you can try in there.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:16 AM on May. 7, 2009

• ours was doing the same thing at six months old. he was getting up 5-6 times a night and it got to the point where he was a huge crab the next day because he was not getting the sleep he needed . we tried the ferber method with him and that did not work because he would just get madder and more worked up at the sight of us. we finally let him cry it ouy thru the whole night. we put him down at 1030 and did not go back in (unless he was sleeping to check on him) until 830 the next morning. it worked after one night and he sleep from 10 -10 now and is a much happier baby because he is getting the deep rest he needs. its hard but it worked for the better and i would do it again .
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 11:30 AM on May. 7, 2009

• If his crib is in your room then maybe he's waking because of other stimuli (my first didn't sleep for 10 hours straight until he was in his own room....hubby snores) OR it could be just the opposite... If his crib is in his room maybe he wakes and feels alone and needs that contact to feel better? If that is the case then my only suggestion is to wait it out. He will sleep all night when he's ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I JUST did this with my 10 month old so maybe it will work for you! First of all, my daughter is eating a good dinner and then before bed she will have an 8 ounce bottle--so she is totally full. Then I put her to bed kind of awake---she would cry. The first night it was 45 minutes long, I went in after 10 minutes and said its ok go to sleep--than that was it! I turned off the monitor! Than at night I left the monitor on and when she would cry, the 1st time I would go in and say its ok, go to sleep......then just turn ithe monitor off. It sounds mean, but you have to do it! I was getting up throughout the night so I would turn it on to see if she was sleeping and she was :) It took 4 nights of this. I also put a box fan outside her door to drown out the crying so everyone else could sleep. It sounds a little cruel...but it worked! I WISH I would of done it sooner
    BellytoBaby

Answer by BellytoBaby at 11:59 AM on May. 7, 2009