Is it okay to add sugar to Mother's Milk Tea? and update on 5mth old breastfeeding again...

I hate the taste of it.... Blah! I don't like honey at all, which is what I was told to add to it... So can I add sugar?
Update: So, things went great as far as starting to breastfeed again, until I realized that my DD wasn't getting enough. :( (I counted the wet diapers for a day) and then I she became constipated. I felt so selfish because she likes the formula just fine, and I'm the one who wants her to breastfeed, she could careless! lol. I know I am doing whats best for her, by trying to breast feed again, but I can't stand to think that I am hurting her... So we are taking it slow right now. We start off on the breast and she eats from both for however long she wants, and when she starts getting irratated we give her a bottle also. Its working out well, and we are decreasing the amount of bottles each day until we finally are only breastfeeding again! It seems to be working out well! Word of advice: ...continued

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 10:17 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never go from formula straight to breastfeeding... start off slowly! I seriously felt like the worse mom, when I realized that she might be becoming dehydrated and constipated!!! But things are definitely better now! Thanks for all the support everyone!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:18 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Good for you! Just to let u know with my experience the didn't work that great. U need to drink like 15 cups a day. I did find a supplement that doubled my supply! Its called Mothers Lactoflow and its only online but works better than any of the other supplements. I don't see why u couldn't add sugar tho. You're right it doesn't taste very good. Good luck and keep up the good work mama. =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:33 AM on May. 7, 2009

• The tea didn't work. I don't know why I left it out. Lol
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:34 AM on May. 7, 2009

• maybe since you don't like the tea (I don't know if you have exhausted all the other ideas, because I am just wandering into your BFing saga. lol.) you should try oatmeal, oatmeal products or this stuff called Fenugreek that is suppose to boost your supply.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:46 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yuck, I hate oatmeal. lol. Its the texture that bothers me! :) Do you think if I ate oatmeal cookies it would work the same?
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:58 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Definitely! there is even a recipe for no bake chocolate/peanut butter oatmeal cookies that I am beyond addicted too. lol there are even products like oatmeal granola bars out there!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:13 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Are you wanting to breastfeed for the nutritional benefit? If so, you could pump the breast milk and bottlefeed. Then you know that your baby is getting enough to drink. Also, by pumping frequently you can increase your supply of milk. My son was premature so he couldnt nurse at first and even when we was strong enough he never got the hang of it. He still got breastmilk until he was 8 months old. Then I had to go back to work so I couldnt pump as often and my supply couldnt keep up. Pumping is not the most convenient but it is a nice alternative to giving up on breastfeeding entirely. Good luck.
    JulsB

Answer by JulsB at 11:13 AM on May. 7, 2009

• man reccommend anything you can!!! that's stuff is HORRIBLE!!! i added leo=mon honey and sugar. sadly that still doesn't take away the licorice taste (i detest licorice!!!) but it does the job :)
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 11:43 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I'm wanting to breastfeed again for several reasons: 1. Because I know its whats best for my daughter, and since I am able to breastfeed, I see no reason why I shouldn't. I always said I would breastfeed, its my preference. 2. Because of the bond I feel with my daughter when I breastfeed. and 3. Well, Because it helps drop the baby weight. :)

I hated that I had to stop BFing, but I had bad issues with PPD... Sad to say, but its not a really good excuse because I should have been strong enough to push through it, but Hey, we all make mistakes. :)

When I pump, nothing comes out... not even a drop. lol. I can hand express some, but that hurts so bad!!!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 12:04 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Try using a sullpemental nursing system to give the formula instead of a bottle to help stimulate more milk production. So glad to hear things are going good though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:26 PM on May. 7, 2009