Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do I turn?

As posted before. I have a 6 yr old son. He has ADHD, he starts with a pshyciatrist on the 12th of may, meanwhile when he has a temper episode (major uncontrolled period of time where nothing satisfies him and has been known to strike me) this goes on thru out the week. My boyfriends mom (whom we live with) complains and downs me for not giving the kid what he wants to shut him up.. To her I am too strict with my kids, yet she gives her grand daughter anything she wants and if she tells the child no and the child whines she gives it to her, and I refuse, when I say no I mean it. He can cry and whatever but to me no means no, anyway her putting me down and her griping is really getting to me and my boyfriend is doing what he can to help, but i almost feel like there is no solution to whats goin on with my son, He is on Concerta. Help!!

Answer Question

Asked by Tearstar at 10:18 AM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • honestly...move out. thats the only soulution because its her house and you'll have to hear it if you live there. Not being rude, not at all, but truly you cannot stop her opinions in her own house.try to stick to your guns tho, because no does mean no.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 10:22 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • I would ignore her, but, I would look into what he is eating. My son has episodes like that if he has red dye #40 lake. Actually, if he gets marker on his hand or uses red soap too. If he is anywhere around it, he will act like a demon child. He is not on any meds. I just monitor his exposure to artificial color in any form. If he hasn't been around any color, then he is completely opposite, like an angel kid.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:38 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • Ignore her. Try different meds, they are not working. Have schedules and stick to them. He needs counseling to help him deal with his moods and anger, he has to be taught how to live with is ADHD. They tend to be impulsive and react before they think.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • As long as you live in her house, she will have input in any of your decisions.Even if you don't ask for it.Maybe his fits have something to do with the stress of living there?

    Answer by evelynwest at 10:52 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • move
    you NEED to move

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:33 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • ADHD kids are very tough. I know what you are going through. You need to move out and find a place of your own.

    Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on May. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.