OKay, calling all moms to toddlers!!!

We just transitioned our 2 year old to a toddler bed. He has been doing really great with it. Sleeping well for his nap and through the night, BUT he keeps getting up earlier and earlier every morning! When I go to bed at night, I crack open his door so that he can get out of his room in the morning, which would be fine but he comes into my room when he gets up and it's been way too early lately!!!!
So how do I get him to stop? My hubby says to just keep his door shut, that way he has to stay in his room until one of us gets him up....do you think that would be okay? I just don't know what to do to help him sleep longer. Waking up early makes him cranky and mean the rest of the day and me too! LOL! Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

LandonsMa0403

Asked by LandonsMa0403 at 10:20 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How about a baby gate in his doorway? I used one with my older son years back and it worked well. Our toddler now also gets out of his toddler bed but he just comes in our room and crawls in our bed and goes back to sleep. Maybe also let him stay up an extra hour or half hour at night and see if he sleeps a little later, IDK. Good luck.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:24 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Instead of shutting the door, get a gate. That way you can hear her.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 10:27 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I've got a baby gate up. She freaks wtih the door closed. She still doesn't like the baby gate but she doesn't cry nearly as bad with it there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 7, 2009

• What about letting him get up and crawl in bed with you? Would he sleep a little more if you did that? Is that something you would like to do?

Does it seem like he isn't getting enough sleep, or is this just an issue b/c you aren't ready to get up that early? The answer to that might help you find a solution - ie, do you need to help him go back to sleep or just help him let you sleep?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:59 AM on May. 7, 2009

• See that's the thing FelipesMom. He comes into my room and crawls into bed with me, which is fine. I don't mind that, but he only stays still for about 2 mins and then he wants up and to go roam the house. And I guess it's ME that doesnt want to get up and being prego doesn't help me NOT feel exhausted. I just want him to go back to sleeping until 7 or 730.....so is this maybe just a phase he is going through because he has more freedom now? Or is this permanent? Ya know what I mean?
    LandonsMa0403

Answer by LandonsMa0403 at 11:04 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I would just put a gate up. My dd is still in her crib but she has been doing this the past week as well. She went from getting up at 8-9 to 6-7. I think it's just the seasons changing, sun is out earlier. When I realized she was making a pattern out of it I just moved her nap time and bedtime a bit to help her adjust.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:06 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Well, my kids are up every morning around 6-6:30...so it's probably not a phase :( I would try the gate. If that doesn't work just leave his door shut. When you hear him you can go let him out. Just make sure he has plenty of toys to play with and nothing that would hurt him ya know?
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 11:07 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I bought my son a toddler bed for christmas and at first was all excited. then he started waking up at night wanting to sleep with me!!so what i do i put him to sleep with me but as soon as he goes back to sleep i put him in his bed. if he wakes up early i put him to sleep in my bed and falls back to sleep
    ms.mireya

Answer by ms.mireya at 11:07 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I am afraid that if I put toys in his room, that he won't go to sleep at all for nap or bedtime.
    LandonsMa0403

Answer by LandonsMa0403 at 11:09 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I'd close the door. When we first moved our son we had the same problem. We tried a gate but then he just stood at the gate and yelled. We now close his door and leave ours cracked a bit to make sure we can hear him. he also has a few books and a playcube (one of those boxes with different toys on each side/top that he can play with. I find that while he'll sometimes play with it before naps, he does still go to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 7, 2009