Where is the verse and what does it mean?

Somewhere is a bible verse that says essentially that Eve was deceived by the serpent in the garden, but Adam ate the forbidden fruit, knowing full well he was disobeying God's orders, so Eve is to be punished, but not Adam. Where is that verse, and WHY on earth? It is a defiance of logic as I see it to punish the one who was deceived, but to pardon the one who deliberately disobeyed. Can someone explain it to me please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe you were wanting the specific verse in the New Testament that speaks to Adam and Eve. I gave you the verse, but forgot to tell you were it is. Sorry. It is 1 Timothy 2:13-14. The paragraph gives a breaf discription why it was said, but go to the link for a more detailed discription. Basically, Paul was giving instruction to Timothy in his letter speaking to that specific situation in Ephesus. It was a strong, dramatic statement to help Timothy get things under control until Paul could get there. There were false teachings going on there and some believe that Paul was speaking to the false teaching that Eve was created first.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:39 PM on May. 7, 2009

• She offered and talked him into eating the fruit. and she was punished by given the menstrual periods. It was essentially Eve's fault because she was the "Temptress". that is also why women are called Temptresses. I don't know where it is in the bible though. sorry
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:50 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I'm gonna go with somewhere in Genesis...however I've never really heard that before. I don't understand how you figure Adam wasn't punished? Both were forced from the Garden, both became mortal and had to deal with pain. Yes Eve now has periods and carries and bears children, but men's bodies were not designed to carry children.

How do you feel that Adam was not punished?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• OP HERE***
    It is somewhere in the New Testament, NOT Jesus saying it, possibly Paul or James or someone. and I meant that it says both were punished, but ADAM was pardoned, and not saying, but implying that EVE wasn't.
    Munch, according to the same bible, Eve was formed from Adam's rib before they sinned, so are you saying she wasn't formed to have children from the beginning? Periods are a biological function connected with the failure to conceive that month..............
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Because of the sexism of the day. Women were only considered to be property, only for sex, servitude and bearing of male children to carry on the family bloodlines. Women were beneath men and they needed a reason why. So Eve was the big culprit and tempted perfect man. 

ithi

Answer by ithi at 11:14 AM on May. 7, 2009

And, once again, an atheist with a chip on her shoulder,and no clue what she's talking about shows it! How could there be sexism when they were the only two people? And, God has NEVER viewed women as "property." That's really got to be one of the MOST absurd thing I've heard you atheists say in a longgggg time! LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 7, 2009

• And, once again, an atheist with a chip on her shoulder,and no clue what she's talking about shows it! How could there be sexism when they were the only two people?

Hey, Anon 8:30, she means sexism of the day when it was written, bonehead... not sexism of when it happened.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 7, 2009

• They were still not "property" even then! Sexism was not a problem then, yes, women were in the home,and they were to put their husbands first, but they weren't subservient. Oh,and thanks for stooping to calling me a silly name. Shows your IQ!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 7, 2009

• No, obviously woman's bodies were made to bear children from the beginning. God didn't refashion their bodies after they sinned. With an all knowing God, I'm sure he had an inkling that they would sin and be cast from the Garden. It was the only way for His plan to play out.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:49 AM on May. 7, 2009

• What the heck does "bonehead" really mean anyway???
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:50 AM on May. 7, 2009