Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i go about taking away parental rights? anyone know?

two of my girls were from a previous realtionship. due to domestic violence issues i fled. its been four years. my current husband wants to adopt the girls but we have no idea how to go about severing parental rights. and if i asked hed never give them up...its his little piece of control he thiks he still has.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (7)
  • I would suggest getting a really good lawyer.

    Answer by munch12502 at 10:52 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • First you need a good attorney. Then you need lots and lots and lots of documentation. You have to prove he is an unfit. You need copies of police repoerts and pictures. You need proof he is a danger/risk to the children. Taking away a parents rights is very difficult. If you would like more explanantion on my experience with severeing parents rights PM me.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:01 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • does he have contact with the girls? If he hasn't seen them for a long time it is easier to have it done. I don't know how old they are, but even if they don't get adopted by their stepdad, they will always know who their "dad" is by who was the one that was there for them. So be sure during the process that you don't show them how important it is to you and it may not become too important for them just incase it doesn't happen.

    Answer by ria7 at 11:03 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • file at court - but you may end up not being able to if he wont sighn over, but the courts will do what they can

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:28 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • Has he not seen them in 4 years, or have you been gone 4 years but he still sees them? Get a very good lawyer, because if you go for termination without good documentation, he can come back on you for alienating him from his children and go for custody himself, and could win! It is VERY difficult to terminate parental rights if he's in the picture at all. Call an attorney, they usually have a free consultation. Consult with several until you feel comfortable. Also, how do the kids feel towards their father? Even though he is abusive, without him, they wouldn't exist. Your DH adopting them doesn't sever their biological relationship. I know this is a lot, but I had a dear friend recently lose custody to a dad the child hadn't seen in 2 years, so I'm saying, get your ducks in a row first.


    Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:33 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • It is going to vary state to state. In Washington, if they've been convicted of 1st or 2nd degree assault, attempted murder or murder that gives the basis to terminate, although I'm sure there's more to it than that. And to echo... documentation, documentation, documentation.

    Answer by jadejade98 at 11:01 AM on May. 10, 2009

  • If you can get him to voluntarily relinquish custody you're gold. But if not you need a lawyer.

    Answer by TabathaM at 9:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.