any moms taking their children to daycare having a hard time? i have a 2 year old that started last tues cries everyday and wakes up scrared!!should i look for a new daycare. my son is bilingual spanish and english.at daycare only speak english could it b that?

ms.mireya

Asked by ms.mireya at 11:00 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started my son at 16 months. today , a full 2 months later was the first morning he didn't scream and cry when I had to leave or when we first got there. the older they start the harder it can be on them. Kids like routine and it is a major routing change.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:08 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I would look for a new daycare.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:09 AM on May. 7, 2009

• thats what the provider tolled me sinc he started at 2 he knows im dropping him off and its harder!!he has been at hom since newborn but now i have to work. i also want him to learn and interact with other kids
    ms.mireya

Answer by ms.mireya at 11:11 AM on May. 7, 2009

• We usually say give them 2 weeks. Some kids may take longer. Usually, they are OK for most of the day but the older they are, the harder it is. Especially when the see the other kids going home. Hang in there. Give it more time. Changing day cares may cause more pain at this point.

Also, don't worry too much about language. He will pick it up soon. My friend's son only speaks chinese but he's doing OK with day care. No huge breakdowns at this point. He's a little over 2 and seems to be catching on to english fairly well. He also went part time for two weeks with his mom their to hlep ease him into it. Not sure if htat helped much or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Going from a home environment to a child-care evironment is a HUGE adjustment for a child. Some adjustment period should be expected - a couple of weeks is normal, but if your child is most comfortable with Spanish, and he is in an English speaking center, then I think it's a no-brainer that he will have a harder time adjusting. Is it possible for you to find a child care center with a teacher that is bilingual to help comfort his transition?
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 12:17 PM on May. 7, 2009