• In the Spotlight:

how much tv [including DVDs, movies etc] does your child watch?

i am just curious how much tv other kids watch. the reason i am including DVDs, movies etc is b/c whenever the topic of tv is brought people frequently say 'my kid doesnt watch tv, only DVDs.." and i dont really see the difference. they are still looking at the tv. why does it matter if its a show on tv or a DVD? but thats another question, lol.

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 11:13 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ...too much if I'm honest....but it helps when I'm trying to do my homework and he's distracted. I know that sounds bad.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:16 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I leave the tv on the Noggin channel. Channel 301 on Directv. i usually leave the volume kind of low so it is just used as background noise. but it is a channel for preschoolers and teaches them valuable things. i have a 3 year old and an 18 month old and are talking very well and my 3 y/o can count to 10 and backwards from 10. my 18 month old can count to 5. he knows part of his abcs and all of his shapes and colors. and as far as dvds they watch all 3 shreks, tarzan, baby einstein, disney movies. but i don't let the tv replace me. i still sit both of them in their booster chairs and we have a 30 minute learning block. i also spend most of my day in the floor playing with learning blocks and having fun.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:18 AM on May. 7, 2009

• The people who say their kids don't watch tv just dvd's are just trying to make themselves feel better about their kids watching tv. Because they ARE watching tv. LOL. Aren't people funny?
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:20 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Mine watched alot at that age..but, it was as he was playing. He didn't just sit and stare. He still watches alot, but, also spends alot of time outside. He has millions of movies and games and sattelite and no restriction on how much, yet, he still prefers to be outside playing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My daughter is at day care, so no TV during the days. minimal on the weekends. She loves to be outside. But in the evenings we leave it on whatever hubby and I like to watch so I"m sure she's getting her share there. Plus, last night I put on shushybye songs form on demand and that put her to sleep. Overall, not a whole lot. She doesn't have much of an attention span yet. I have tried some of the DVDs to help get a few mintues break but it's only so / so right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 7, 2009

• It varies but usually is between 60 and 90 minutes of PBS. My son is 2. He didn't watch at all until 18 months. Often he watches intently for a bit then watchs and plays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 7, 2009

• A child under age 2 should not watch any.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:54 AM on May. 7, 2009

• my son watches like 3 hours of TV a day... the doctor said he shouldnt be watching more then an hour but yea... and hes 16 months but according to most mommies on here im a bad parent so...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 12:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I gotta ask...What do you think would happen if a kid under 2 watched tv? My son loved all sorts of shows. By 3 he loved Titanic and he had enough attention span to sit and watch entire movies very early on. He was three when i took him to watch Lake Placid and he thouroughly enjoyed it. Star Wars too. He is healthy, smart, active and an all around great kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on May. 7, 2009

• my son watches a few hours a day. and i don't see anything wrong with that as long as its a show he can learn from.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:41 PM on May. 7, 2009