bully dilemma

Ok, I need some good advice. My son is 13 and there is this neighbor kid (same age) who is quite a bit larger than my son. Well, this other neighbor kid has a trampoline with the net around it and all the boys get on and wrestle etc. Well the big kid gets kind of rough, partly i think b/c he just doesn't know his own strength. But he also has bullied my son in the past, verbal only, but now he is getting physical. He and my son got into an arguement and the boy punched my son in the arm. And now he has a big purple bruise in the shape of a fist on his shoulder!! We do try to teach our son to stand up for himself, but how much is too much to endure? In the past when I said something to the child or his mom, he verbally picked on my son for at least 6 mos and so now I'm afraid to say anything for fear he will begin another round of verbal bullying. What should I do?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 11:17 AM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well when it comes to physical assault like what you said, I would have called the cops and filed a report. It's obvious his parents aren't doing anything about teaching their child anything. It's not OK to verbally, mentally or physically abuse anyone for any reason. I also wouldn't let my son around him anymore either.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• ew been there am there..my daughter has been bullied i got involved and it was chaos.this time her bff is very aggressive and scratched my daughter and pull at her shiert trying to get her down.i i knew what happened the last time.there is a woman at the school who deals with bullying my daughter said she wanted to talk to her.i also have to teach my daughter to be a little aggressive.the mother was calling me but i knew it would end in a battle so i did the chicken way out and said my phone was broken.i needed a couple of days to think about it, he is a boy though and i think that is different.is there someone he can talk to in school that nobody would find out.i am hoping this woman is going to help my daughter sort out her feelings.cause i knoe myself i get to involved and then get crazy.but your right going to the boys parents i am sure is not a good idea cause the fruit doesnt fall far from the tree.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:28 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Ohh I dont have any kids yet but one on the way but that has always been one of my concerns. I would say that you and the bully fam try to get together and talk or maybe you just talk one on one with the mom and tell her. Maybe then that will help. If not then yes I would get the cops involved and if they go to school together call the school. And keep your son away from him.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 11:45 AM on May. 7, 2009