What would you say if your husband asked you.... (please read)

to let two of his friends stay at your house for 4 or 5 nights (Sunday to Thursday or Friday)?

Other pertinent information:
1) you have never met these people,
2) they go to school with your husband in another state (Alabama),
3) you have 3 children in your home,
4) you are a SAHM, homeschooling your children,
5) you do not have a guest room, they would have to sleep in the living room,
6) they are an unmarried man and woman (they are bf and gf, in their early 20's),
7) your husband would not be at the house during this time frame (because he will be working 3 hours away during the week) so it would be just you, your 3 children, and your mother who lives with you.

I told my husband I would think about it but I am REALLY not comfortable hosting these people for that long a period without him here, especially as I don't even know them!

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 11:18 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• Hmmm maybe you should tell hubs that "hotel my livingroom" is not a free flophouse, it would cost them $100/day per person - unmarrieds sleep in separate rooms - meals are not included and since he invited them HE has to stay home and entertain them. (that might get them to find other arrangements fast!).

I do agree with you-- I would tell the hubs NO. You have enough going on in your life (kids, homeschooling...) and you do not want strangers in the house- especially if he is not going to be there.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I would tell him all the reasons you were uncomfortable with it and then tell him to call around for hotel rooms.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• why does he want them to stay?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• i wouldnt do it if you arent comfortable.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Well my first question is WHY do they need a placer to stay? Are they visiting someone? Wanting to hang out, have a school project in the area?

If you don't want unmarried people sleeping together in your home in front of your children perhaps the female can sleep on a blow up mattress in your room and the guy on the couch? That would be the only way I'd even consider this.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 11:22 AM on May. 7, 2009

• UMM, that would be a big fat HELL NO! Your family and safety comes first and for him to even suggest that is wrong.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 7, 2009

• nope
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:23 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Ah! I did forget to put why, sorry. They are going to be working at a camp, 2 hours from our house (but 10 hours from their nearest family). The camp won't open until Friday and they live in the dorms on campus, which are closed after finals. So from Sunday until Friday they cannot live in the dorms and, for some reason or another (I don't know why) do not want to stay with family.

So, my "wonderful" husband said he would ask me if they could stay at our house for those days.

I don't see why they can't get a campsite or a hotel room or something, except he says they don't have a lot of money.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:27 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I would say no. It may be different if he was going to be there. But definatly not if he is not there and you have never met them.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 11:28 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I would have problems saying yes for several reasons. #1- you don't know theses people from Adam #2- you have three children. If they are bf/gf I will assume they want to sleep together, that would never walk in my house. #3 you dh will be 3 hours away.
    It is pretty intrusive and I think unreasonable for your husband and this couple to expect you to take them in for a week especially when you are homeschooling and clearly don't have the room. The cost of feeding 2 more adults for 4-5 days wopuld break many families food budget.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:32 AM on May. 7, 2009