Do you believe children are a product of how they were raised?

I used to but I've seen wonderful, calm people with horrible children and I've seen horrible parents with fantastic children..........what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope. I know they can be but it is not always true. We have two grown sons. They had exactly the same rules, chores,priviledges and discipline. The oldest followed all the rules as a general rule, rarely to never missed curfew, was a triple letterman in HS and wow..a great kid. Turns 18 goes to the Army meets some really unsavory people and CHOOSES to totally reject everything he's ever been taught. Youngest son was hard headed, strong willed, fought us on rules and anything else he could. Became involved with alcohol and some drugs as a young teen. By the time he's 18 has totally pulled his head out of his butt graduates, goes to fire academy and EMT school. Is a productive responsible citizen. In fact, last week he closed on his new house. He's 22! You set the groundwork. You have little control about a lot of the people they come in contact with. Ultimately they either accept or reject what you taught.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:40 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Working in the social service field and having 14 aunts and uncles and over 30 cousins I have seen alot. I do believe children are largley a part of how they are raised. There are exceptions to every rule though.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:25 AM on May. 7, 2009

• nature or nurture...you really dont know what happens behind closed doors.like my wonderful neighbor she seems really nice out in public but i live right next store ....nurture...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes I believe that.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:33 AM on May. 7, 2009

• To some degree. My parents were very strict with us yet gave us a strict life. My three sisters and I all are very successful in life and have done well. Our brother is in and out of jail and constantly in trouble. My parents with my brother always made excuses and were not as strict with him. They bailed him out all the time and still do. My brother did not learn like we did there were consequences for actions and is paying for that now. My mom and dad on the surface looked like fabulous parents to us all. They failed my brother in allowing him to get away with everything. Abuse is bad and harms children and can cause them to be bad people later in life. Giving a child a sense of entitlement and never disciplining can do the same thing.  Parents do shape their kids what the kid does as an adult with that is on them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 7, 2009

• us yet gave us a strict life

Should be great life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I know so after working at a daycare for four years. I see kids that start and know nothing. I mean babies that just lay there, then after we work with them, all of a sudden they can roll over reach arms out to be held, hold a sippy...talk all sorts of stuff. You can tell who has nothing done with them over a weekend. They will revert sometimes. Then some are above average and you can see how their moms deal with them and talk to them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:36 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I MOSTLY think children are a product of how they were raised. I was raised in a very strict home. I went to church every Sunday, had a curfew in high school MUCH sooner than all my friends, but even with all that I was still really wild. HOWEVER, there was always something keeping me from going too far. A little voice if you will. My friends who's parents didn't give a shit about what they did didn't have that voice. My 2 best friend's both got pregnant in high school and had abortions. 1 of them ended up with a physically abusive guy who was actually charged with murdering someone, she got pregnant again, smoked weed, did cocaine, and drank throughout her entire pregnancy, and her little girl was born basically brain dead. There was nothing stopping her from going over the edge. She didn't have that voice. And I think a lot of it is directly related to her mom not giving her any boundaries growing up.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:36 AM on May. 7, 2009

• It's a combo of that & genetics.

I've seen twins seperated at birth --- raised in completely different ways --- that have VERY similar personality traits.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:37 AM on May. 7, 2009

• It's true while still children....not so much for adults. I meant to add this little tidbit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 AM on May. 7, 2009