Is it ok to use a bassanet during the first two months of baby's life instead of a crib?

OUr space is very limited and we are not moving into a bigger place until about 2 months after the baby is due. i was wondering if a bassanet is ok to use for sleep until we get a bigger place?

reggiboo

Asked by reggiboo at 11:30 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you can use it until the baby can roll over and move around.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• of course! we even had a crib, but our son slept in a bassinet next to our bed for his first 2 months because he was BF. so it's absolutely okay!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I think you're supposed to put them in a bassanet at first anyway. At least, we did last time and are this time. It's easier because you can have them right next to your bed and won't have to go far during the night. And I think they can stay in them until they're like 16 or so pounds, but I don't know. There should be a weight limit on the bassinet.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• yes it's a safe and great idea to have your baby in a bassenett for at least 3 or until he can rollover and move around!!!
    babyb1

Answer by babyb1 at 11:36 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Absolutely! Its safer and easier.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:37 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes, that's really the only time to use a bassinet. :)
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:37 AM on May. 7, 2009

• absolutely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 7, 2009

• it;s safer but you have to stop when they are after 15 lbs or can push up on all 4s or roll. my dd did the latter first and then she hit 15 lbs. she's actually in her playpen for now until we get a new mattress for the crib
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 11:42 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I sure hope so. I did with all of mine. They were all in a bassinette for the first 6-8 weeks. Really until they roll over or start moving around a lot. BTW..when my baby sister was born we had just moved and part of our furniture was late arriving (Navy move). She slept for the first several weeks in a dresser drawer lined with a blanket. Didn't hurt any of mine or my sister.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:45 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Why wouldn't it be? It's fine to let baby sleep in a bassinet, pack and play, crib, your bed, cosleeper. As long as you're safe, all of those accommodations are fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:09 PM on May. 7, 2009