How can I get my 7 week old to take more than 45 min naps?

During the day, my 7 week old will only sleep maybe 20 min to 45 min max between feedings. At night she'll sleep longer as she doesn't have her days and nights mixed up. But during the day, I think at this age she's suppose to be getting more sleep between feedings. Sometimes she still seems tired, but can't get back to sleep. Other times she seems wide awake. I am giving her breastmilk and she eats about every 3 hours.

JasminesMom314

Asked by JasminesMom314 at 11:51 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It seems that your are doing a great job your are nursing your baby and she is having her naps and sleeping trough the night. If you want longer naps I can tell you what it worked for me: I used the stroller! yes take the stroller indoors or outdoors the baby will fall sleep and slept longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Her daytime sleep patterns are still maturing and will be for the next year at least. There isn't much you can do except make sure she gets the chance to sleep. As anonymous says, you can try lots of tricks: swings, strollers, playing white noise in her room (there are special CDs or you can just use a portable fan), even putting her in her car seat on top of a running clothes dryer. Some work for some babies but not for others. Mine liked white noise but would never sleep in her swing, stroller, or car seat.

Try here for some good sleep development info:
    http://www.familysleep.com/newborn-to-2-months.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• When she wakes, before she's fully awake, pop her back on the breast. It usually works.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:23 PM on May. 7, 2009