how do you teach yong children about how to handle "bullies" and brats?

My 5 year old son is on a soccer and t-ball team. One of the kids is a real show off and thinks he is the team. My son is 4ft tall and 64lbs,kinda like a little line backer,but he is very gentle and friendly. This kid seems to think it's OK to push my son and my son won't push him back because it's not nice. My 3 year old daughter has been friends with another little girl since they were babies and now the little girl is a spoiled rotten brat who gets whatever she wants just to shut her up,so she never wants to play with my daughter any more because she's too busy trying to find an adult to buy her something. It hurts my babys feelings and she doesn't understand,and the other girl knows she's hurting her feelings and smiles this ungly little smile when she does this. I am friends with her mom,and i don't know how to deal with this problem,or my other one. Help!

melprice77

Asked by melprice77 at 12:01 PM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Oh my god, I am struggling with the same thing with my almost 3 year old and the "bratty" neighbor girl! My daughter is very loving and she is devestated that this other girl is so mean! I will be checking back to see what kind of advice you get!
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 12:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If their mom does nothing, get in the kid's face. Stoop down so you're nose to nose, eye to eye. Make absolutely sure you have their attention. Let them look around for mom or dad, but don't let it stop you.

Then very clearly use short phrases and tell them you expect them to behave like civilized human beings ...or... we're going to have another of these little talks... make sure they know it won't be fun for them. Let them fill in the blanks.

You have to be the scary b#%^$ sometimes. Worked wonders for us, but we're kinda crazy that way. My 11 yr old g-daughter told a bully that her Jamma (me), was going to come to the school and giver her a swirly if she ever touched her again. Problem solved.

Good luck! Don't take any lip!
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 2:30 PM on May. 7, 2009