• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone use a budget outline offline?

I am trying to find a quick and simple budget outline. Do you have any that you recommend?

Mary_CoreysMom

Asked by Mary_CoreysMom at 12:06 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you budgeting for a financial goal?
    Anonymous

• I am just looking for simple month to month budget at the moment. I am trying to determine where my money is walking off to.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 12:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Start with something simple. Get a small notebook and keep it in your bag. Everytime you spend money, even a quarter, write it in the book (date, amount, item or service). Everytime you write a check or use your debit card or use your credit card, write it in the book. Check your bank and credit card statements online everyday, and write all transactions in the book. Every weekend, transfer this information to an excel spreadsheet so you can easily categorize and total your budget items.You will likely be appalled at your expenditures, but you will have a baseline to work from.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• For month to month, most people I know use QuickBooks. However, just for a simple outline, Excel would do fine. Just make sure that you report the expense's payment type (if check or cash), check number, account type (if more than one), check amount, expense type (utilities, etc.) amount, date spent, and date cleared. Then, subtract each expense from your revenue. With your revenue, keep track of date received, from who, amount, payment type, check number (if a check), what account entered to (if more than one). Make sure to keep all entries consistent.
    Anonymous

• We are following Dave Ramsey's plan, read the book The Total Money Makeover. Anyways, here's a link to his budget form...
    http://www.daveramsey.com/media/pdf/fpu_monthly_cash_flow_plan_forms.pdf
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:18 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Thank you for the information (and I didn't even ask the question) - question about the Ramsey method: what are the recommend Percentages?
    Love that document too - thanks.
    jmf0524

Answer by jmf0524 at 5:17 PM on May. 7, 2009