How do you feel about the Census people "GPS target painting" every U.S. household?

***THIS ISN'T ABOUT OBAMA! THIS WAS PUT IN THE WORKS IN 2006.***

The census has started early! The workers are going house to house and taking GPS coordinates of every front door in America. Why?

The census doesn't begin until next year. Why now?

Address location is readily available from the USPS and 911 systems. Why does the census need GPS?

It kind of creeps me out that they will have an absolute location for every American.

I am NOT posting a link because I simply couldn't choose one. Google "census gps" for a zillion of them.

BTW, the military uses "target painting" for precison bombing.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:17 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Google street view - this is a waste of money, it's already online, with pictures in full color.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Good think you ask this question. Yesterday while I was waiting my son's bus. I started noticing that a men was standing in front of the houses in my block. He had a device on his hands and a black pack with the Census Logo on it.

I was going to ask to my dh about it but you've just answered my question. I didn't know it was a GPS
    NewYorkCafemom

Answer by NewYorkCafemom at 12:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Why don't they get the info from Google???????
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:23 PM on May. 7, 2009

• sweet-a-kins, I don't know. One article I read said it was going to cost about $100 million dollars to do this. That much money would put a lot of food on the table.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:43 PM on May. 7, 2009

• You know of course that a lot of the census work is being done by Acorn.
    yourspecialkid

• ah, special interest groups. Gotta love dirty politics.

Very sad, and scary! I HATE even google maps. I can practically see my license plate on my car parked in front of my house!!! SCARY!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• yourspecialkid, lol, imo, Acorn is where they are because of Obama! Recently 2 employees in Las Vegas were arrested for fraud, no, that can't be, lol but hey, that's okay, they are a trustworthy bunch! An Acorn representative was on Glenn Beck this week, Oh my, that was interesting, needless to say the guy was told to leave the studio, "double talk" was all he was capable of! There have been many problems with Acorn but as I said, you know it's okay, they do a wonderful job, can't wait to see the new boundary lines are drawn, that will be the deciding factor in who gets fed. money and who doesn't. Do you think maybe only those communities who voted them in, support service programs and act like good little socialist will be rewarded? (Of course not, that can't happen, HA!) Remember, OH YES WE CAN!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:09 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yeah, I did have a census worker come by my door to program that in.

Hmmm, I didn't think about it at the time, but you guys are right, what a waste of money.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:11 PM on May. 7, 2009

• The more I think about this, the more irritating it is. Pretty much everyone's property records are online, public record. Give me your name and your county and I can get not only your address, but your plat number, how much you paid and owe in property taxes, who owned the house before you, and who owns your mortgage/who your landlord is. If your county doesn't have the plat maps online, I can use google maps and street view to look at it that way. There is absolutely NO reason for them to spend this money.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• you know I understand why people get creeped out but this does come with something good. I mean see they already have a system in place that takes them to your house. BUT it isn't perfect. All you have to do sometime is just travel enough using mapquest to find out. They don't always take you to where you want them to...even when you have the correct address. Often you can put in an address on google earth and it gets you close but not right on. Them going house to house will finally take you right where you want to go using the gps. But anyway. I think this is a HUGE waste of money. Heck we could pay off a lot of countries by not spending our money on crap that isn't actually 100% needed. The government needs to start acting like a family and not spend money it doesn't have. I hate debt. If the government would close it's purse strings and subsist off it's income for a while maybe it won't take too long to get out of debt.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 1:22 PM on May. 7, 2009