Government to condemn land for Flight 93 memorial

From what I got, the government couldn't come to an agreement with the land owners so now they are just taking it awayy? I have mixed feelings on this, how about you?
The land owners should be offered something.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_re_us/us_flight93_memorial

Soniam301

Asked by Soniam301 at 12:18 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is crap to take land from someone. One of the land owners was planning on donating the land but had no clue they were going to condemn the land like this. We own a huge parcel of family land that has been in my family several generations. We have oil wells on part of it but now the Government is sniffing about and wanting the land for a project. We live on the land as do other family members. It will be a battle if they come and try to take our livelihood and family land from us. We own it and should never have to sell it. I feel for the people. What happened was tragic to steal from others to try and make it better is simply another tragedy.

Anonymous

• In every instant I have seen this happen, I have always thought it was wrong. People put memorials in places different to where the event actually happened all the time with it still having the same meaning, and further more, WTH do they need 500 acres for!?
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:30 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I think it is crap. This is not what "eminent domain" is for. If I were the landowner I would sue, not that it will get them anywhere though.

The government didn't seize the property in Manhattan that the towers were on. A memorial will be incorporated into it.

IMO if the owner didn't want to sell/give the property a memorial should have just be put up somewhere in the vicinity.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:37 PM on May. 7, 2009

• The current administration is above the law as we all know, they do whatever suits them, especially if it's wrong, they are absent malice, they WON! We lose! It really is disgusting that they can and will do this kind of thing!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:53 PM on May. 7, 2009

• This "memorial" is nothing more than a way for the Government to keep people off that land who might be investigating the crash and to keep them from maybe finding any missed evidence. I think its absolutely ridiculous to make an entire 2,200 acre site into a memorial to 40 people and turn the place into a Government tourist trap. It's wrong to take people's land by means of condemnation. There are many places across the U.S. where historical events have taken place and those are memorialized by simple historical markers. Many of those are places where people have died. Why does the Government need 2,200 acres for this event. Until the Government allows a full and scientific investigation of the events of 9/11 this land should not be touched by construction and allowed to be paved and blacktopped over which would hamper those efforts. This is just another thing that will further the Government's cover up.
    Anonymous

• While I am also not thrilled the the practice of eminent domain I have to take issues with these statements...
    "The current administration is above the law as we all know, they do whatever suits them, especially if it's wrong..." agentwanda...This is NOT a current administration problem!!! Many times our govt. has used E.Dom. to confiscate land and many times they were wrong in doing so. Don't act like this is the only aministration that has ever done something like this!
    " I think its absolutely ridiculous to make an entire 2,200 acre site into a memorial to 40 people..." Anon:56- While I may have a problem in general with E.Dom. practices, I think its very insensitive of you to say its ridiculous to build a memorial for those people. Wether it was 4 or 40 or 400, those people were very valient and I'm sure their families don't just count them as 1 of 40 people! You need to look behind the numbers. Why are you so bitter?
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I do not believe those who died on Flight 93 would want a memorial done in this manner.
    Anonymous

• Well, first of all there is already a memorial there. Second of all, the Federal Gov. didn't have any interest at all in a huge memorial to Vietnam Vets. It was only through the efforts of the vets themselves and a huge donation campaign to the memorial that it came about and that was to honor thousands of soldiers, not civilians. Third, until the people of the U.S. get a straight answer to the whole story through an independent scientific investigation and hearings on 911, I and others feel its a little early to attach the story of Flight 93 to a memorial. How long are people going to believe the lies of Bush & Co.? 911 was an inside job and the poor families of the people who were considered expendable have the right to know what happened. I would rather see the money going to the first responders and firemen who are now suffering and dying from inhaling the poisonous debris of WTC, who are being denied financial aid.
    Anonymous

• I live 30 minutes away from there and believe me they are getting paid handsomely. 8 MILLION dollars for all the land.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't think that a 2,200 acre memorial park is necessary or appropriate on the taxpayers' dime. Why so much land? Why take land from the owners that encompasses a much larger area than the actual site? It's one thing if the owners wish to donate, it's another to forcibly take their land. Many people in the U.S. have lost loved ones in heroic events and the Gov. isn't running around erecting memorials and building national parks over what they did. Besides, there are a lot of conflicting stories about exactly what happened with Flight 93. If the Gov. shot flight 93 down, then heads need to roll and those responsible need to be punished. A memorial is not the way for them to say they are sorry.
    Anonymous