why isnt it safe for him to play in his room?

i want to know why you guys think its so horrible for him to play alone in his room for an hour... he is in a completely baby proofed room, nothing he can choke on, no sharp corners, the door isnt closed (theres a baby gate up), monitor is on all the time...

and i would also like to say that for everyone who said i should be a better mom and spend more time with him and crap, you clearly dont work and youre a stay at home mommy... try going to work at 10pm and coming home and getting to be by 6:30-7am. then wake up at 8:30-9am... and thats ALL the sleep you get every day. dont judge me for wanting to sleep an extra hour! its not like i sleep all day while he plays and wonders about the house.

im doing what i need to do to support myself and my son. i dont get any help from the state. the only help i get is my mom letting me live in her house...

wisteriastars

Asked by wisteriastars at 12:31 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The reason why it isn't safe has been outlined in your previous questions very thoroughly and I feel the reason you are still harping on it is because you keep getting answers you just don't want to hear.
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with it. Sorry some people are judging you for it. You need your sleep and if he is safe and you can hear him then why not. My daughter is 8 months old and she will play in her crib while I clean up or fold laundry so she wont get into the cleaning supplies or fall down the stairs. Could you get someone to watch him if your living at home while you sleep? If not don't let them bring you down. Your doing what is best for you and your child. How old is your son? Around 1 they need alone time to learn to play alone and entertain themselves. Good luck to you and remember your building a life for you and your child so SCREW ANYONE WHO WANTS TO JUDGE YOU. LET THEM LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR A DAY AND SEE HOW LONG THEY LAST.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:35 PM on May. 7, 2009

• maybe people think its wrong because he could fall down and get hurt. i personally don't see anything wrong with it, especially if the room is completely baby proofed.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:38 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Go for it lady. I am a SAHM and my kids get up at 6:30 some mornings. They are 3 and 1 and I will milk my time some mornings. They are good kids and get into the most trouble when they are downstairs. I love when they play in their rooms for a half hour before I get up.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:38 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Just do not worry what other's think unless you honestly think you are in the wrong. I think it is just fine he plays in his room for an hour by himself but for you not to be checking in on him every so often worries me. Things happen even in baby safe rooms and I know this from my experience. I decked out my son's room all baby safe and nice too, they manage and you would NEVER forgive yourself if something happened! Is there absolutely NO way you can hire a babysitter to watch him for an hour or even two while you sleep? If you are low income they usually have program daycares for low income. Look into that. GL mama and great job with trying to support you and the lil one try not to let people both you. You need to take it and leave it cause if you really do not have as much time as you are saying you shouldnt be on here getting upset you should be trying to take a nap!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:39 PM on May. 7, 2009

• You are going to have to do what you have to to survive. My only concern really is that it isn't healthy for you to only get that much sleep. Your kid will be fine if it is in a safe environment, but it is worrisome as children that young can really be dangerous and unpredictable. Just do your best.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:43 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i'm a SAHM and I'm not judging you, I think that's perfectly fine...you've gotta do what you've gotta do...i'm 36 weeks pregnant and have a 17 month old and I know what you mean about needing extra sleep or just to even lay down and rest before you get your child...do what you want, you don't need our opinions. if you believe your child is safe and there's no doubt in your mind...then don't worry. u don't need anyone telling you otherwise.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:47 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it. If I"m feeling sick and need to rest I'll lay on the spare bed in dds room and let her play with the door closed. It's the most baby proofed room in the house. I can still hear her (as can you with the monitor) so if anything happends I can respond.

Don't let the others get to you. There's a lot to be said about individual kids having different needs so he probably doesn't need to be supervised by you 24 / 7. And seriously, how is it any different than the moms who let their kids run through the house while the are on here instead of watching them? It really isn't.

Yes, things can happened and kids can figure out baby proofing, but this will happend even if you are two feet away! I turn just an inch to grab the syringe thing for my daughters zyrtec as she pulled the glass bottle off the counter, dropping it on the floor shattering!! I was right there and it still happened.
    Anonymous

• .. cont. Anyway, I'm just saying do what you need to and ignore the others. Only you know your situation and what you and your child can handle.
    Anonymous

• Let PPL talk, you need to sleep sometimes, and I really respect your for what you doing for your child and you. But don't get at stay at home mom's we have "work" all daylong as well and don't get paid. I cant stand it if ppl trying to say stay at home mom's are lazy and just don't want to work etc.
    we also have to be there 24/7 just as you have to.

StellaBella2007

Answer by StellaBella2007 at 12:56 PM on May. 7, 2009