Would you know where to start? (Jobs)

I am feeling alittle uneasy bc I am a SAHM and my dh is telling me I might need to go find an outside job and I have no type of skills....:(
What can I do I feel so dumb and helpless...I have not worked in years I am nervous and worried I haven't a clue on what or where my next job will be :(

Feeling blah!!!
Any suggestions?
Thanks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• You could do a home business...if you are interested then send me a message.
    You could also go to your local bank. They usually are willing to train you as a teller. I did that and really liked it.
    Good Luck.
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 12:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Check out snagajob.com
    You can look for hourly jobs in your area (as opposed to salary jobs, like on monster)
    I suggest you start there to get an idea of who's hiring, but don't put your app online. It's better if you talk to a manager first, and then put an application in. That way they're kind of expecting it and know to be looking for you specifically.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• First of all, gain some confidence. There is nothing wrong with saying to an employer "I've never done this before but I am confident that I can learn." Telling them (or yourself) that you have no skills and don't know what you're doing isn't going to get you hired anywhere. You DO have skills. There are a lot of management skills as well as prioritizing and hard work involved with being a SAHM. Although putting "SAHM" on your application probably won't count as a work reference, you can be confident in the fact that you HAVE been working during your years as a SAHM and honing skills that are more important than you realised!

Start out testing the waters in the reception-type field. Here are some areas you might want to try: Switchboard opperator (hotel or hospital), reception (hotel, hospital, school, nursing home ect), hospital registration, clerk (salon, boutique, shops) ect.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:51 PM on May. 7, 2009

• What about daycares or being a teacher's aide? I would look for job listings that offer on-the-job training. Create an account at Monster.com. Check the listings in the newspaper.

Boost your confidence and without lying or over-embelishing, let future employers know all of your good qualities.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:52 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I actually am a SAHM too, and I am so lucky because I caught a break. The local radio station needed some one to do their marketing and I had volunteer experience in that. google some ways to write a resume and how to play up how a SAHM has way more skills than working moms.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 12:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Register with temp agencies. They can test your skill, such as typing and 10 key. Go online to your local newspaper and look in the classifieds for jobs. If it comes down to it, you can always apply at retail stores (office supplies, clothing, department stores like Target) or restaurants where you don't necessarily need skills and they provide training. You can also look into going back to school, take a few classes a week and work on getting a degree in something you like or skill you would want. Good luck!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:59 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Thank you ladies for all the suggestions and ideas....I forgot to mention I am 45 years old :(
    Anonymous

• Hello! I do career and jobsearch coaching in Chicago, and I am always happy to help fellow CafeMoms with resumes, coverletters and job search strategy. Feel free to contact me directly.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If you're interested in being a work at home mom, you should read my blog with more information. Be a Work at Home Mom

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:02 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Your best bet would probably be to get a mininum wage part time job and then go to school part time to update your skills in an area you are interested. It doesn't have to be a college degree there are plenty of certificate programs available.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 2:49 PM on May. 7, 2009