Father dating a woman younger than me?! Acck!!

My dad has been single for about 4 years now, and last year just started getting out more. He called me last week to tell me he had been dating a woman for 6 months now, and it was becoming serious, so he would like me to meet her. So dh and I went out with them to dinner last night, and imagine my surprise when his girlfriend is a considerbly much younger woman!

I am 28, and my father is 44, and this woman is only 25! I like her, she seems to be a nice woman, and I am happy that my dad has found someone to be happy with but....

I cannot help but feel soooo weirded out about this!! I know he has the right to date whomever he wants, but this woman is younger than me and young enough to be his daughter!? I am curious as to what he was thinking!?

Should I say something about the way I feel to him and ask him what the hell he is thinking, or just keep my month shut and hope for the best that it works out for him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• I can see how it would weird you out a little.
    But you have just got to be happy for him. What is she is the love of his life and he breaks it off because you were a little wigged out by her age? He might resent you and it could ruin your relationship with him. It is best to bite your tongue.
    Good luck I am sure it will be hard to do, it would be hard for me.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Just let your dad be happy. It might not even work out.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I'd keep your mouth shut and hope for the best. You're right, he does have the right to date whomever he wants whether or not you approve. I am sure that it's wierd for you to see him with her, but if it's genuine, then who cares. If she is someone who really cares for your dad, wouldn't you want him to be happy with whoever makes him feel that way? If you say anything to him about it, the only thing that is gonna happen is a fight. And ultimately he'll probably continue to date her.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:57 PM on May. 7, 2009

• MY FATHER IS 40 AND HIS G/F IS 22 GROSE RIGHT, BUT HE IS STILL MY DAD...
    LET HIM B HAPPY Y HE IS STILL HERE
    Anonymous

• would it be better if he was dating a man his own age instead?
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it.. That girl might be younger than you, but she's still an adult.. 25 is not even close to a kid.. Just let him be happy with her..
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 1:20 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I can understand how that would weird you out, but I wouldn't say anything to your dad about it. Maybe it's a good match, you never know. He's could be trying to feel youthful again ... judging by the ages you gave, he was 16 when you were born so I'm sure he sacrificed a lot of his 20's and 30's being a daddy ... just try and be cordial and supportive.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:38 PM on May. 7, 2009

• When my dad died he was dating a 22 year old. I was 30 when he passed. She was a con artist. She did not come to the hospital nor did she come to the funeral. When my dad was alive she was always with him and made him happy so I kept my mouth shut. My dad knew what she was and in his will he left her a letter and a check for 100 bucks. She was mad and realized he was using her for sex and had her game.lol The rest went to his kids including the house he bought for her to live in. We had her evicted and sold it. I would just make sure you dad has a will and protects himself and you guys in case she is simply a skank looking for an easier life. She may be very nice and into your dad. Either way he should protect himself.
    Anonymous

• my dd's step mom is younger than her. It is awkward but her dad is happy and they seem to be right for each other. Let them find love wherever they can. Life is short. I dated a 48 yr old man when I was 25. he was wonderful to me and my kids. He just forgot to tell me he was married!!!!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:53 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I would not say a word, unless you find concrete evidence that suggest that she's out for more than just a relationship with your dad....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:05 PM on May. 7, 2009