how do i get my child to go to sleep by hisself

he used to but i started laying down with him and his little brother now they wont go to sleep unless i do and i cant stand to hear them cry

lilann

Asked by lilann at 12:55 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get over it and let them cry. You did it to yourself there dear. They will cry to get you to come back and be with them and your doing them no favors by laying with them. Its you who has the problem not them. Watch super nanny, put them to bed and tuck them in if they get up you tell them once its bed time good night and put them back to bed each time after that just take them to bed and say nothing, the will catch on.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:56 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yep I agree, rookie mistake! You are going to have to tough this one out if you want them to learn to self soothe. Sorry this won't be easy but if you stick to your guns it will only take 3-5 days and then you will be done.
    Anonymous

• Oh, vomit on everyone else's answers. I know moms with EIGHT kids who choose not to let their kids cry, and I don't consider either of them rookies. You can do a gradual shift. Start by laying down and setting a timer. "Mommy gets up after five minutes." Then you could sit by the door. Let them pick their sheets. Start a reward chart. There's a book called the no cry sleep solution for preschoolers. There is a middle ground for parents who aren't lazy. My 2 year old NEVER cried to sleep and she falls asleep alone and sleeps all night.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:27 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm with apexmommy. Rookie mistake? That's bull. It's an arrogant and selfish mistake to assume that you can't raise kids without leaving them to cry and to call someone else a "rookie" because they prefer not to.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:02 PM on May. 9, 2009