My 7 year old refuses to eat meat....help!

My daughter loves fruits and veggies but I cannot get her to eat meat. I have tried everything, even tricking her but I have had no luck. The only meat she will eat is pattys from Mc Donalds burgers. This is not healthy...any suggestions?

busybutterfly

Asked by busybutterfly at 1:00 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• why do you think its not healthy? being a vegetarian can be an extremely healthy diet (many times its actually better for you than being a carnivore). just make sure she's getting protein from other sources, like beans and eggs and peanut butter
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:01 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If I could be a vegetarian without breaking down and eating meat, I would! I can only hope my children will do the same. The meats sold in our grocery stores are better than McDonald's but aren't really super healthy to be honest with you either. The protein she is missing can be obtained by eating legumes (peas, certain nuts, anything that grows in a "pod" etc.). She doesn't NEED meat. She probably has an enviably healthy palate. Good for her! :-)

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:04 PM on May. 7, 2009

• If she is of normal weight, happy and healthy, dont worry about he not eating meat, she can get protein from peanut butter, eggs nuts etc.. My oldest rarely eats meat, I just cook extra veggies and mac and cheese she likes....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:27 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree with the above.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:27 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Not eating meat isn't a real big deal.  Add the normal substitutes to meals---beans etc....  Your health care provider will have lots of suggestions for you.  And remember, please do not make a big deal out of it with your little one.  It will turn into a power struggle.  Your meal dishes will always be available if your daughter chooses to give it a go. 

Anonymous

• Not a big deal that she isn't eating meat. Just make sure she gets proteins from other sources. You can keep offering her meat, she may eventually eat it. It could be a texture thing. Try meat ravioli, meat sauces. Just don't force her to eat the meats, it will only make it worse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:00 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Some day you may thank your child for starting your family down a healthier path. The SAD (standard American diet) actually has too much protein. Meat is an inefficient delivery source of nutrients and not so great for the planet. all of us, meat eaters and non, should be eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day in a least three different colors and 7 servings of whole grains a day. Instead of meats, you can make beans and lentil, which are loaded with iron, calcium and, yes, protein. The China Study by T. Colin Campbell is a great book on nutrition; you should be able to find it at your local library; you can also look for a kids vegetarian cookbook called Pretend Soup. I belong to a group for parents of vegetarians; I will be happy to send you a link if you are interested, you may also contact me with any questions. http://www.vrg.org/family/kidsindex.htm is a great resource to get you started. hugs!!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:47 PM on May. 7, 2009

• don't force her to eat meat. What she eats is healthier than meat. We could all learn from her

Answer by admckenzie at 5:32 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't think you need to worry as long as she is getting protein from other sources. Lots of vegetables have protein in them, beans and legumes. If I'm not mistaken even bread has a little bit of protein in it. Like another poster said, Americans really get more meat than they need. I think you are only supposed to have 3 oz a day. Or something like that... so I'm sure she's fine as long as she is getting protein from other sources.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:40 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My 7 year old doesn't eat much meat either. Don't worry. Meat is not really necessary, but protein is. Just make sure she is getting plenty of protein from other sources: nuts, beans, peas, legumes, cheese, yogurt. It's great that she likes her fruits and veggies. Her diet is probably better than the average kid!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:06 PM on May. 7, 2009