What would you do?

My DH is scheduled for a vasectomy in July. In an ideal situation, we would both love more kids. But in our situation, we shouldn't have anymore. Due to financial, health, and work issues, it would cause way too much stress and effect our kids too much. Everyone is telling us don't do anything permanent unless we are 100% sure we don't want more kids. We are 100% sure we SHOULDN'T have more kids. Would you get it done?

mamatomy3boys

Asked by mamatomy3boys at 1:23 PM on May. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just get a long term form or birth control. Like an iud or icu, they can last for years. A lot can change in 5 years.
    Anonymous

• No. I had a TL for alot of the same reasons and ive regretted it ever since. The IUD is a better idea.
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 1:26 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Well, how many kids do you have? How old are you? What is your situation? If your situation were to change, would you want more kids?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I am 23. I have one son. I work at night, my husband is military and works during the day. Money is always very tight due to student loans and other debts. We would like more kids, if our situation was different. I have a paragard icu. It can last up to ten years. I chose this way to go because things change over time and I know our situation will. Five years ago I was single, in the military, and had no plans of having children. So things can change a lot over time.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon, you could try the IUD. But if its health related, maybe you should go with vasectomy.

I thought I'd heard somewhere that a vasectomy could be reversed.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 1:36 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I work full time at night. I have 3 kids. I am 31 years old. I have had the IUD and developed ovarian cysts while I had it. I had gestational diabetes with my 3rd, and i have been diagnoses with type 2 diabetes. I had my first at 22, getting no sleep was not an issue. This time around it is very exhausting for me to work at night and then come home and have the kids all day until DH gets home from work. Next year we will have 2 kids in school full time, so things will be a lot easier. If things were different, yes we would have more.
    mamatomy3boys

Answer by mamatomy3boys at 1:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Everyone does not get a say. I can't imagine why you told people, but this decision is strictly between you and your husband.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:33 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Absolutely not. My brother in law did it, and then a few years later when his situation changed, regretted it completely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:41 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I would get on birth control, even though you kow right now that you shouldn't have anymore kids you might change your mind later on when things aren't so stressful. I got my tubes tied but I knew I didn't want anymore.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:27 PM on May. 7, 2009