At what age did you take your child to their first concert?

My son is 8 1/2 and really wants to go to a concert. We have an outside venue here and I was thinking about just getting a general admisson ticket and sitting in the grass with him so we won't be too crowded. However I am not sure what concert would be appropriate. He loves rock n roll. I just don't want him to be the only child there. Any comments?

tessntylersmom

Asked by tessntylersmom at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Entertainment

• We took my son to a Wynonna Judd concert when he was 4! But that was because my babysitter flaked out on me and my mom already bought our tickets. It was in nice little theater though so we figured he would be ok. Now had it been in a place where we would have had to stand i wouldn't have took him. I think it would depend on the band. Sitting on the grass sounds like it would be nice. We also took my niece to see No Doubt when she was 5 because she loves them. There were seats and she enjoyed it. Plus she was surrounded by her mom, me, my mom,and my 2 cousins so I think she felt secure and not scared.
    Anonymous

• I have never even been to a concert, and I'm 23.
    Anonymous

• Make sure you find a group that he really likes & one that fits into your value system. If he knows the songs, he will enjoy it that much more. My children have been to children's plays & concerts but never an adult concert. If you find a group that is playing near you, I would try to find out about their concerts. Some groups get very crazy on stage. Google them or ask a question in Cafemom about the specific group. You can also talk to the venue itself. Some concerts have really bad security & allow drinking in the entire venue. Others are very secure & have no alcohol or only alcohol in certain areas. Be ready to leave if your child gets bored or tired. If he is one of the few children there, the last thing you want is to offend other people who have paid their money to see the concert & probably find a sitter for their kids.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Do Backyardigans count? If so, 1st concert at age 3 :D
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 1:50 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Be very careful where the place is and what you are taking him to. I was at an all ages concert at a local venue and it was very insane. If an 8 year old honestly liked the band he could have came and would have been trampled. You definitely do not want to do standing room only. My sister who's 11 went to a standing room only concert and half through her and her mom had to leave because she was so tired.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:48 PM on May. 7, 2009