Should I stop smoking since Im having a baby?

I know its bad for the baby for me to smoke, but what exactly does it do to the baby?

Aumbrey

Asked by Aumbrey at 1:44 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hey anonyous, it's not always so easy to just stop smoking. This person was asking for advice, not to be bitched at, so chill out and don't be so judgemental.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:50 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Ask your doctor for advice on how to quit. He can also tell you what can happen to your child if you don't.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• uhhhh yeah, you should stop. Your baby could be born premature. Lots of things could happen. not to mention ur health.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 1:46 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Duh!!! Yes you should stop. There should be no question about it. If you cared about that baby at all you would have already stopped. Are you living in the 1940s? Everyone knows that smoking is bad not only for you but also for your unborn child. You could cause birth defects, lower birth weight. You could give your child asthma. You could even KILL your baby. Use some common sense and put down the cigarette already.
    Anonymous

• I don't know exactly. I smoked through my first pregnancy and he turned out okay. but I went ahead and quit this pregnancy. I feel a lot better since I did quit actually. If you can't quit, at least try to slow down. My dr said she would have been happy if I had just cut back to five a day.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:48 PM on May. 7, 2009