My daughter keeps cutting her hair!

I have a 6 yr. old daughter who has cut her hair a dozen times, literally. I have tried grounding her, making her write sentences, and even took her to the salon hoping that a professional hair cut would get her to leave it alone since she always tells me that she cut it to make it look pretty. It hasn't even been a week since the salon and she cut her hair at school today. My husband told her that we were not going to pay for her to go to the salon if she was just going to cut it and mess it up. So we took the cost of the hair cut out of the money she had. We have also tried time-out, sentences, and even grounding her to her room. Nothing seems to work, and she will use just about anything to cut it; scissors, finger nail clippers, etc. Any ideas?

mcsqrd

Asked by mcsqrd at 1:50 PM on May. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Cut it into a short hair cut. Then if she doesnt like it she will learn a lesson. My mom did this after I got gum in my hair, and it taught me a lesson for sure.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you need to keep the scissors out of her reach and she won't keep doing it. It's not her fault that she is getting punished for parents mistakes. Kids are curious and they will do things like that if scissors, clippers etc are left out.

Anonymous

• Yikes...how often does she do this? Maybe you should try telling her she'll get rewarded for NOT cutting her hair...like a toy she really really wants or something. Does barbie still make that barbie salon thing? Maybe you could get her one of those. maybe if she had someone elses hair to style she wouldn't feel the need to cut her own...
    On the plus side, maybe she'll be like some world famous hair designer when she grows up!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:54 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I agree with the post about cutting it short. Cut it REALLY short. Like a pixie cut from the 1970's.

She may just not like the feel of long hair...at least with a professional super-short cut, it'll be neat.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Here's a web address with lots of nice short pixie cuts...

http://images.google.com/images?q=pixie+haircuts&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=vCADSsf6GpLqtQOykb3bAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:58 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I also agree with cutting her hair. and maybe if she really like to play with taht stuff, get her one of those dolls aht she play with their hair. i know they makke em somewhere. also try and have her cut out shapes or something, jsut to curb her curiousity with it.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Tell her if she cuts it again it will stay that way and other kids will make fun of her for having a bad looking hair cut.
    Anonymous

• You need to keep all of that crap out of her reach and frankly watch her better.
    Anonymous

• She is 6, not 3 ladies.  A determined little girl can cut her hair faster than you can pee.  And last I checked they don't let you sit all day in 1st grade, watching to make sure she's using her scissors properly.  My little shit of a princess used to do this too.  She even gave another kid a free haircut once.  I told her that if she ever cut her own hair again, it was staying that way.  If she wanted a haircut that bad, I would take her to the salon ASAP.  I let her get the whole shebang while she's there too, wash & style.  My daughter likes being pampered, so that worked for her. 

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 8:39 PM on May. 7, 2009

• dont fix her hair. leave it however she cuts it. don't put it in ponytails or anything. just make her deal with it.

also, keep everything that she can use to cut her hair with out of her reach. and as someone else said, watch her better while she is home. i understand that kids can do things pretty fast, but you know this is a problem so stay on her.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:34 PM on May. 7, 2009