Do you cut up your child's / children's fruit?

My son is 8 and I still cut up his fruit. He'll eat Clemantines and Bananas w/o me cutting or pealing but apples, oranges, watermelon, etc. I'll cut it up for him. I even pit his cherries for him!

Obviously if you have toddler children, you'll cut it up - this question is mainly school age children.

P.S. AsianMommie if you're reading this, I know, I know! I baby him!

TaiyoandMe

Asked by TaiyoandMe at 1:57 PM on May. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I do.
    Anonymous

• Nope. By age five my oldest was eating his fruit without me cutting it up. I do however still peel oranges for his lunch at school because he doesn't have time to peel it and eat anything else.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:07 PM on May. 7, 2009

• my daughter is 8 months and I personally don't cut anything but meat up for her. She has 2 teeth and does a good job of chewing her food up herself. We only cut the steak, chicken or whatever meat we are eating up so she can chew it before she swallows it. She eats oranges in the pieces we tear off or we but apple slices for her because she cant bite it yet but she will eat strawberries whole, bananas, we take the skin off grapes and cut them for her so she can chew them a little better but we don't cut things into bite size pieces. We take the seeds or buy seedless watermelon and cut a chunk off and she will suck the rind dry.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:08 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Mine are 5, 3 and 2 years. For the two year old, I slice his apples.

Bananas, grapes, strawberries, grapes, pears, seedless watermelon....I give them to all three whole.

We can't do citrus here, so I don't know what we'd do about that...(sensitivity to citrus fruit)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:13 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Don't pit the cherries. Take him outside and have a cherry pit spitting contest.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:24 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I don't cut anything into bite size pieces. Just slice the fruit and put it in a baggie for lunch or bowl if he's at home.

It's funny because I don't cut anything else up for him - he doesn't eat meat really so there's no need. Pancakes he does on his own.

My boyfriend likes when I cut up his fruit too! My mom still does it for me if I go to her house or she comes to mine. She'll go into my fridge then grab a knife and cut it up. MAybe it's cultural...
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 2:58 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Girl, my son is 8 and I cut up his meat and fruit for him...he's my baby and I know I baby him, but what's the big deal?!  My husband on the other hand hates it that I do that.   I do that with my older kids too (both 12), cut up their fruit, sandwhiches...it comes natural to me I guess. When I go to restaurants people always point out that "I must have kids" because I cut my meat in small pieces!  LOL

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:27 PM on May. 7, 2009

• OP......there is nothing wrong with cutting your kids stuff up :).  Its a mom thing........

To the mom with the 8 month old.........I cannot believe you are giving your 8 month old apples and steak thats pretty scary! 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:03 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I cut up stuff with pits or cores - he only eats like a quarter of the fruit if I don't cut it up for him (he'll eat off all the apples skin and leave the rest....what a waste. LOL
    Anonymous

• My oldest is 6. For things like apples/pears sometimes I will cut for him in big slices and sometimes he will eat it whole. Melons I always cut into slices. I don't let him cut his fruit himself.
    Anonymous