How do you get motivated to workout and KEEP it up?

Do you have a lot of weight to lose, or did you and how did you stay motivated. I lose motivation even though I seriously need to workout and lose weight. You think looking at pic of myself would do it. I hate mental blocks. I need to try something different that helps it along: hypnosis or meditation or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I do the picture thing. I have a great picture of me when I was a size five and looked awesome. I look at that every day. I also have an old pair of size five jeans hanging in my closet that I see every single day. Then there is the mirror, when I look in it and see the huge difference in my body and face, I remember why I am trying to lose the weight.
    Anonymous

• Food journal... You become so much more aware of what you put in your mouth when you are accountable for it. There are quite a few websites who will give you calories for food, some even give you fast food or restaurant and some will break it down to proteins and cholesterol and all.

I read somewhere that you take your weight and multiply it by 7 and that's how many calories you need to eat to loose weight. But I don't agree with it. For me, with a mild to medium workout, I can do my weight times 10 and I still lose weight. I've lost 45 lbs so far, but that's over the last 15 months. It took me over a year, but let me tell you this, I still eat at the restaurant, I've learned to make good choices. I still have my glass of wine a day, but it's only one 6 oz glass.

I also read somewhere (and heard) yogourt (light or non fat) and red bell pepper help you lose weight. The bell pepper prevents fat from "sticking" to you.
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 2:15 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I look at it as something that I need to do.
    I also am realistic about it. I work out everyother morning for 1 hour.
    If I want to have some candy with my daughter later, I do not feel like I did something wrong.
    I have finally come to the understanding that this my body and I have to learn to love it.
    I feel better about myself because I work out everyother day opposed to doing nothing.
    I have made it a way of life and something that makes me feel healthier.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:22 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I have been working out for a year and while its hard sometimes to stay motivated,it something that I need to do for me.I want to look and feel better and its paying off.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 10:50 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Something my sister told me... on those days you dont feel like working out (which might be everyday! lol), get your workout clothes on. Fill up your water bottle/cup. Drive to the gym or pop in your workout video. Do at least 5 minutes of working out. If by the end of the 5 minutes, you STILL dont feel like working out, then dont do it for that day. If it happens to be everyday, slowly move up to 10 minutes, then 15, then 20 before you stop.
    Motivation for me is 1- looking in the mirror and not liking what I see, 2- looking at my daughter knowing I also want her to live a healthy lifestyle, and 3- having fun with my workouts. Only do workouts that you like! I hate running, so I do kickboxing/dancing instead. And one of the most important things to remember is the great feeling you get after you finish a workout.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:48 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I get up everyday and put on my workout clothes and sneakers. I found that if I wear other clothes, then I won't go to the trouble to change. I wear a sports bra everyday with all my clothing, except when I wear dress clothes. I like the support I get, but it always makes me feel prepared to work out on the spot.

When its time to buy everyday/around-the-house clothes, I simply buy workout type clothing. Like capri style pants and matching t's. I have a dozen outfits but I wear them so much, that I wear them out. This makes me feel ready to work out and more energetic during my day.

Even if I can't get to the gym that day, I find i'm more active. :) This keeps me motivated. Not to mention that I keep a goal in front of me. My current goal is to be 132 by Sept. 4th, my birthday. Works for me. ;)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:55 PM on May. 7, 2009

• a friend of mine uses a dry erase marker on her mirror to motivate her to lose weight. ive seen her put notes like "lovin those love handles huh?" or "those rolls will look great in a bikini" or simple things she needs to do to work out like "15 pushups before work today!" and things like that. or she'll just put little sticky notes all over the house, especially on the FRIDGE! i was thinking about trying it out. you never know, it could work for you too!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 1:47 AM on May. 8, 2009