I just had a baby 8 weeks ago, it is possible that the prego hormone is still in my body?

My DS is 8 weeks old and even though I have had one period, I had unprotected sex with my DH about 2 weeks after. If I took a test and it turns up positive, is it possible that the hormone is "leftovers" from being prego? Either way will be fine with me, I know the risks when I have unprotected sex, and I love my children. I was just curious. And no I have not tested, but I am late if I go by when my LMP was after birthing my son. Maybe my cycle just isn't regular yet?

Kaci_Eden

Asked by Kaci_Eden at 2:17 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is possible but its usually gone within 6 weeks. I would retest or have a blood test done. Your cycles are possibly messed up but that wouldn't cause a positive. So I would retest and call your doctor. If so CONGRATS if you are.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:25 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Congrats if you are Mommy. But if the hormone is still there then you might not be able to tell until your next post partum check up.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Before my son was born I was like clockwork every 28 days. After he was born it took a good 6 months for my period to come back and even those didn't become regular until he was a year old. So you may not be late at all, your body is probably still recovering and delaying your period that way. I don't know how long the hormones stay in your system though, and if you had unprotected sex there is always the possibility...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 2:52 PM on May. 7, 2009

• having unprotected sex with in the first 6 weeks is a bad thing you are at higher risk of becoming pregnant and if you test it will tell you yes or no for sure the hormones too tell are not there after birth i would call your doctor and let them know what is going on
    Anonymous

• I waited the 6 weeks, I am not worried and I have not tested yet, about to though. I always test before starting BC cause even with protection, you just never know. I was simply curious if it was possible that the hormone was still in your body and could pop a false positive. I do not think I am pregnant.
    Kaci_Eden

Answer by Kaci_Eden at 6:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Says I'm not, I can start the pill now
    Kaci_Eden

Answer by Kaci_Eden at 6:36 PM on May. 7, 2009