any ideas on depression

My just turned 16 daughter texted me the other day and said I should make her an appt. for the Dr. She feels like she could cry all the time over the last month and she felt it was getting worse-

patrica

Asked by patrica at 2:23 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• is she pregnant?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:24 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i wish my mom had made similar apts. for me and listened when i said i was unhappy and had anxiety.she told me to ignore it and that everyone has anxiety and to cheer up. i didnt even know that it was called anxiety until i was older.i got bad grades because i was physically uncomfortable in school and depressed. good for you that you are listening and are concerned :)
    Anonymous

• please find her a therapist or a psychiatrist. my depression began when i was 12, and i wish more than anything that my parents had sent me to talk to a professional. it wasn't until i was in my late 20's that i began talk therapy and medication. i always regret that i didn't go sooner. so much misery and so many bad experiences could have been avoided. it's great, by the way, that she can tell you how she is feeling and ask you for help.
    Anonymous

• the fact that she reached out to you at all is GREAT. Definately get her an appointment with a psychologist/psychiatrist. It will let her know that she can trust you to take care of things like that when she does put the ball in your court. She probably isn't comfortable talking about since she text you. I know I have always felt more comfortable with writing/emailing my mom about things like that. I still don't like to talk about them in person with her. Its awkward. I wouldn't push her too much trying to get info on how she is doing exactly. I would encourage her to get out and do things with friends when given the opportunity, but again don't push too much. Also, I don't know how much you do as a family, but try not to do tons extra just because you know she is having problems because it could make her uncomfortable if you change your behavior too much around her. She might think you are doing it because of it. gl
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Take her to her regular physician, and get a referral for a psychiatrist that specializes in adolescent depression. When my stepdaughter was 16, her mother refused to admit she was depressed - DH and I went behind BM's back and took SD to the doctor, where she admitted she was contemplating suicide (to the doc, not us). SD is 17 now and on Effexor - she hasn't been this happy since she was 8 or 9yrs old. She was 300lbs, and she's lost 10lbs w/out trying. She's even walking just for the sake of walking. At first BM threw a fit about us taking SD to the doctor w/out her knowledge, but now that she knows she was suicidal, and has seen the difference in SD's outlook on life, BM is thankful.
    Anonymous

• Before you find her a doctor, talk to her yourself. If she can go to you and tell you that she feels like that she will talk to you.

You may know more than you think, and she needs you before any doctor.

She came to you for a reason, be there for her =)

And be sensitive to what she says, if she tells you she is pregnant, or her bf beats her or even something silly like her friend stol her man, be there.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 9:14 PM on May. 7, 2009

• just because you tell your parent that you are depressed does not mean you want to talk about it with them. i know this from experience. i did not and still do not want to talk about any of the times i was depressed with my mom. that is what a pyschologist is for. i have always felt more comfortable talking about that stuff with other people. i never wanted to worry my mom. i did tell her that i was depressed at one point, but that was through e-mail. we didn't discuss it and i didn't want to.

i am not saying that she won't be able to talk to you, but since she text you and didn't tell you face to face i would take it easy when talking to her about it. i guess i am not saying you shouldn't try, but don't be hurt if she doesn't feel like she can talk to you more about it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:40 PM on May. 7, 2009

• muh advice:: make an appt. asap.
    i went through rlyyy bad depression when i was 15. and it all started with me feeling down all the time n not good enough n i didnt know what was wrong. i honestly couldnt name why i was cryin or upset. and i never went to anyone for help and i ended up cutting muhself and i went bulimic and anorexic. i was very sick for a longgg time. im not trying to freak you out. im juss sayin you should make an appt. the fact that she came to you, even through txt, is huge.
    Anonymous

• if shes not pregnant take her to a thereapist/phyciatrist if all they do is put her on a bunch of meds right away id change...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 5:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Before anything, ask some friends if they have any recommendations for doctors in your area. Make an appointment then try asking her if she would mind talking to you about it. Don't push her though. If she would rather not, then let her know that you've already made an appointment for her. It will also help her to trust you even more than she already does.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 10:53 PM on May. 8, 2009