How much would you pay?

I am a photographer and I have taken some pics for people in the past. I am going to start charging clients now. I am thinking $150 for 1.5 hrs and all the photos will be burned on a disk and given to them. I of course will edit them. IS this a good price or shoud I charge more?

Brookey

Asked by Brookey at 2:30 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Initially I thought that was cheap, especially if you are giving them the pics, seems most photographers make oodles of money off the prints chargine $25 for an 8x10, etc....but what region of the country are you in? Will you go on site or do they come to you?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:34 PM on May. 7, 2009

• When I had a photographer come to the house do to a photoshoot of B when he was first born it cost us almost $400 and she was there for about 3 hours. All I got in the end was unedited proofs. I personally think you could charge a little more. I would pay you $250-300 for an 1hour and half, I've seen your work!!
    JSL_LUVS_PINK

Answer by JSL_LUVS_PINK at 3:07 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I think this is a fantastic idea and very reasonable. Here is the photographer we use and her prices: www.amberdurrphotography. Good luck!!
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 3:23 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Hey lady! I think it is a great idea and agree that you could charge more! My husband does photography on the side (the way your wanting too/ disk and all) and the editing is most of the work!!! He and a friend of mine checked the area and basically made their prices a 1/4 at first and now half of what most charge including the rights to the photos. But we are in central KY and sessions range from 500 for family photos and up to 6000+ for weddings and events without rights!!!!! Hope it helps and good luck!
    lapatt2

Answer by lapatt2 at 8:05 PM on May. 7, 2009

• thanks for the advice girls! i had a feeling i was on the cheap side ha ha. i would edit the pics and then put the pics on the disk. my friend says i am being too cheap, but i would really like some extra money right now, and i hate to scare people off, ha ha.

i am in ga, and the rates are all over the place to be honest. i am the cheapest though!
    Brookey

Answer by Brookey at 10:13 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i think every state is dif where i am from u pay $40 to $50.. and get it on a disc now with my photographer i been using for years.. i have never paid that much it might be prices around you area i know we will pay that on our vacation to take family pics i got a 50% off on a special it was 150.. and i got it for $75.. i think if u check with others.. and thats the going rate u might want to go a lil cheaper.. u might get more people or thats the cheaper thats good.. some do pics for a hr and take over 100-200 pics..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on May. 8, 2009

• The guy who took our family pics a few months ago was $125 for the 1st hour and $50/hr after that. He was there for 2 hours, so it was $175. He did the exact same thing you are, where he edited them and burned them to a hi-resolution CD (and gave us color and B&W of all, plus some extras w/ other effects). I love that I can print them myself through mpix and get great quality prints forever and not have to try to get reprints from someone else later in life or have to pay a buttload for the CD on top of the cost for the time. Honestly, it's a good deal for the customer at that price, but the fact that it is such a good deal actually makes me end up spending more money in the long run, because I'll do them more often, plus I tell all my friends/family about him, so he gets great advertising! Plus, doing them at our house is great because he doesn't have the overhead of a studio and we get pics captured in our own home!
    .brandi.

Answer by .brandi. at 12:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think thats a great price if not a bit low! I would pay up to 250-400 depending on your portfolio and experience and so on and so on... but one trick you might want to use is to say your normal cost is say... $350... but you are offering a 35% off special or something to that affect.. its an old marketing trick and it rarely fails! I used to be in sales and I did it every time, worked like a charm!

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 7:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think youll get more clients if you charge this leser amount especially the way the economy is..I also think more people will come to you more then once. I also think you could afford to go up a little and still have the same results. I also think you price really depends on if your going to them or theyre going to you..and how many pictures your taking..and other things like that. Id personlly just go to super walmart and get pics done cuz im cheap so what do I really know...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:58 PM on May. 10, 2009

• there is just a huge difference between my pics and walmart pics, nothing wrong with doing them i might add :0) i am going to do some research online and see what i find.
    Brookey

Answer by Brookey at 6:48 AM on May. 11, 2009