Anyone else find it really hard to make friends?

My other half is always saying how I need to make friends especially after ranting about his lol, he says it's not because he doesn't love me but because it would be good for me but I find it impossible to make friends, especially females cos of problems with my mum, anybody else find it very hard to do? I mean I have a few male friends who I rarely speak to anyhow but we're very close when I do but I have no female friends and none of my male friends live anywhere near me! So I'm always super lonely 24/7 it's just me and the kids as my other half isn't living with me :(

princessfairy

Asked by princessfairy at 2:32 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know how hard it is to find friends who aren't so wrapped up in themselves all the time.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:35 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes, I just posted a question like yours yesterday.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:35 PM on May. 7, 2009

• yes I can be super shy at first. I had to start all over with making friends once I was preggo. I joined a local cafemom group on here. but the moms are all military wives, have older toddler-age kids, and I have nothing in common with them. sucking it up and going to a few playgroups I was the one sitting on the couch alone watching the disney channels while they all congregated to a table and chatted away. then I started going to library playgroups. I met many cool hip moms there, some with babies my son's age. I invited one of the moms to my sons bday party! I dont really see them outside that setting, but it's ok for now. I have something to look forward to. i can get out of the house, my son can play or hear a story and I can mingle with cool moms!
    Anonymous

• I do. I have made a few friends on here, but still find it hard to really make good friends IRL. I am really leery of people and tend to shy away. The friends I have are my friends because, really they took the initiative. My husband says I need to make more friends, and I try. I guess I really dont know where to start and dont want to push my friendship on people.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:39 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Glad to know I'm not the only one, I had loads of friends at school but since then I can't keep hold of them and if I do it's male friends who live miles away! I try more when I'm single but when I'm in a relationship I worry that somehow if all my attention isn't on my other half he will leave me for one of my friends, I've never ever had this happen but I worry if I start making friends it will put the relationship in danger, so silly I know but it scares me but he says I'm being silly and I should have friends for myself as it's not good just to rely on the one person, I find it so hard that he has his friends I always worry he likes them more than me, it terrifies me.
    princessfairy

Answer by princessfairy at 2:41 PM on May. 7, 2009

• abbynzachsmommy,

I know what you mean, I worry if I try to make friends they won't want to know, I always think "why would they want to be MY friend?". I guess sometimes that stops me from trying to, I just don't want to get rejected.
    princessfairy

Answer by princessfairy at 2:43 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Are there any play groups in your area? I joined a group for Moms who live in my County (different website, not cafemom) but I've met several people that I get along great with. The problem I had was I did have friends but they were all single with no kids so it made things harder. Now that I have Mommy friends it's easier!
    Anonymous

• Yes! I have one truly good friend and another female friend who is a friend just because I too am super bored most days cause my husband is gone all day at work. I wish I had other friends that were good friends and then I could ditch the one I only talk to bc I'm bored. I am a shy person and find it terribly uncomfortable to approach people, so I always find myself sitting back and watching. it stinks but maybe one day it'll change!
    Anonymous

• I am lucky I have my daughter and sisters. If it wasn't for that I would have to figure out how to make friends. I am really bad at idle chit chat. When people are sitting around talking I usually am just thinking of how long it will be until I get to go home,
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 3:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• aww, thanks mom... Macy is my best friend and mom... I also have trouble making friends. i have become part of a loose knit group from my college but since we graduate on Saturday I am not sure we will be hanging out much anymore either. really after meetings on campus we would grab a bite to eat then split again (we were student teaching together)

I also just want to go home, and I really would prefer not go to get togethers if i don't have to, my poor husbands likes to go to bon fires with him friends and I drive seperate so i can leave early...haha
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:52 PM on May. 7, 2009