When is the earliest you can hear a heartbeat?

MrsNester0925

Asked by MrsNester0925 at 2:36 PM on May. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I heard my baby's heartbeat at 9 1/2 weeks but the midwife was really surprised and said that was pretty early.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:40 PM on May. 7, 2009

• 9-10 weeks. That's what my midwife said. I have a checkup at 8 weeks and she said she will see if she can pick one up then but not to get my hopes up it will most likely be the appointment after that. I will know in a week and a half.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:42 PM on May. 7, 2009

• We were 8 1/2 wks when I heard my baby girl
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:43 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Usually at about ten to twelve weeks. Depending on what week your first appointment was, you'll hear the heartbeat at appointment #2 for the first time and then each time after. In the beginning it is harder for them to find the heartbeat because the baby is so small, but hearing it for the first time is wonderful.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 2:45 PM on May. 7, 2009

• We went through fertility treatments so we had very ultrasounds. At 6 weeks they could see the heart beating but it wasn't until 7 weeks that we could hear it with the doppler.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 3:07 PM on May. 7, 2009

• i just had my first prenatal visit & i am 9 weeks & we heard a heartbeat. it's hard to hear though it comes & goes & you really have to search for it
    Anonymous

• i heard the heartbeat for the first time at 10 weeks i believe it was !
    mommy2be1308

Answer by mommy2be1308 at 3:36 PM on May. 7, 2009

• At my 7 week appt my dr did an ultra sound and didnt like that she couldnt hear a heartbeat. we saw a flashing that looked like a fetal pole but she scheduled me for another ultrasound the following week. unfortunately the next ultra sound no fetal activiity and i miscarried shortly after. everything i read said that it was too early to hear the heartbeat, but the er drs told me it depends on how elaborate the ultra sound machine is.
    longonevs

Answer by longonevs at 4:19 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I heard my dd's heartbeat at our first appt which was at 8 weeks. I had an ultrasound though so we were able to hear it through that.
    CadysMom

Answer by CadysMom at 6:21 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Vaginal Ultrasound heard the baby at 6 weeks 4 days, but the picture didn't look like a baby...just a black hole.....I started freaking out I thought there wasn't a baby!!! I'm glad the doctor explained!

~heather~
    heathertilton08

Answer by heathertilton08 at 7:06 PM on May. 7, 2009